This month's challenge is livin' in the heart of summer... and with the temps we're already having on the coast, I'm looking for any excuse I can to stay indoors!!!!

Compose a piece with a minimum of 3 elements plus the background depicting a summer scene. Coloring is optional. I'd like you to focus on the layout and placement of the elements in the overall piece. I'd also like for you to work on perspective and placing the elements at different ranges in the piece, instead of everything on one plane.......in short, you'll be making a picture. For our art students, it can be classified as a landscape. Due to the probable complexity of this piece, don't try to cram it on scraps....use at least a 6" wide piece so you can space the elements out.

Example: I live on the coast, so I could do a beach scene (background) with a sailboat (element 1) just before the horizon, a piece of driftwood (element 2) in the surf, and a beach umbrella in the sand (element 3).

Now, this is a pretty big jump from the single element pieces, and is building from the Tiki challenge where you combined two elements. I'm not asking for photo-realism.....yet ;)

Your tool selection is up to you - no limits, and you may feel free to use photos or images as the basis for your piece. It IS a pretty large step, so use all the tools at your disposal...but please don't use the tools as a crutch..

Pay particular attention to the way the depth of tooling and cuts in the leather can portray (or betray) an element's position. Sharper lines and deeper cuts indicate nearness, while less clearly defined edges indicate distance. It's the same with the size of the elements, larger typically means closer, smaller typically indicates distance.

Ready.....set.......GO!

I am glad you gave a few days leeway to think about this....gonna be fun!!

So let me get this straight... we are to DRAW, Compose or otherwise make our own pattern... that is a landscape that says "in the heart of the summer" to us then attempt to carve it using what ever tools we wish?

Just like art school:)

Yeppers!! Your composition, your choice of tools. I know, I know, after the previous challenges it's kinda like setting the whole cake down in front of a kid.....they don't know where to start.

It doesn't have to be exactly in the HEART of summer.....I suppose if you went off in the direction of the superior mesenteric artery you would be close enough. Since it IS summer time, a summer based theme seems appropriate......and it's a great excuse to stay out of the heat!

Since it IS summer time, a summer based theme seems appropriate......and it's a great excuse to stay out of the heat!

I feel or ya...I am living in a ruff 55 degrees f ...hahahaha

One of the reasons I love it here...always outside air conditioning:)

After growing up in Florida I love the cold!

Anyway...

This Challenge sounds VERY HOT!

LOLOLOL

Uh, ok.....I might even think of what I want to do by the 29th :-) Seriously Mike this will be fun. Cheryl

Ok... I sketched a fishing scene with a little boy....sure wish I was better with perspective.

:head_hurts_kr:

OK, now you're like a 100% further along than I am. Great scene Sylvia.

Thanks Cheryl. I think I am just going to antique it. I don't feel like fiddling with loads of colors.

I don't think it needs any color Sylvia, I think the perspective is good. I use color a lot to give the object proper perspective, but yours doesn't need it. Cheryl

Way to go to start things out Sylvia!

I guess this Telecaster I am working on fits in this months challenge and I will be done in a couple weeks before the end of the month:)

FRONT

Spanish Mission in the Back ground with cactus and mountains, Robber in the front holding up the stage coach, his regulators running from behind on horse back...that is the front,

The Back side,

Fish Eye Effect drawing with dead cowboy in the background and coach driver, 2 robbers side by side one behind the other, Mission and Mountains in the Background, along with the horse train.

Tools,

3/8 Hollow Ground Swivel Knife

Swivel Bevler

1/8 Bevel Stamp

Backgrounder M885

Spoon

and Camouflage/Foliage Stamp Tool F986...SO FAR.

post-28433-044474100 1338938170_thumb.jp

post-28433-026005200 1338938177_thumb.jp

I guess folks are having issues getting started on this one.

I sat down and sketched the picture I wanted to do, and it was uh, well perspective was the least the matter with it, LOL. I haven't tried another one yet.

Living in the heart of summer: I suppose that could mean many things to many people. I'm going to list a few that say "summer" to me. Maybe that will help.

Camping

fishing

swimming

wading

gardening, flowers, fruits of the garden

copper tone babies

Kids running through sprinklers

Lemonade stands

Cherries and berries

Covered bridges

ocean, lakes and river scenes

I'm thinking about showing someone at a leather bench, and the background can be the thoughts of finished and future projects in my head, LOL and then the closer can be the tools in the crate holder, and then closer than that can be other tools spread out on the desktop I put on my bench, and then I guess me hunched over a piece of leather would be the closest. Because that's how my summer has gone so far this year. But that would be hard perspective with all that 'close' LOL.

I actually went on a vacation once to VA, and stayed in a beautiful bed and breakfast, and went to a covered bridge to eat my lunch along a trout brook. That would make a nice pic. if I could come close to remembering it in my head well enough to get down on paper.

Try to keep it simple CC... don't get too elaborate... because it will only end up frustrating you, yet again.

The covered bridge could be drawn with a ruler, fairly easily. You don't have to include the picnic part. :)

Syl, you mean you're not SUPPOSED to get frustrated during a project? LOL. I downloaded some covered bridges to use as a pattern, nothing elaborate. Then I started practicing sewing, and had my machine going almost one stitch at a time. I didn't know the old foot controllers could do that but I guess it depends on whole foot is on the controller :-) I have a new electronic foot controller, but haven't ever put it on. Now to get to where I can slow it like that reliably an d I'll be almost ready to sew maybe sorta!!!!! c

LOL yes even the oldest sewing machines foot controller will do the very slow stitch.... they are all variable resistance controllers. Only the "industrial" clutch motors are full speed or off.

And, no you are only supposed to do simple things until your skills are strong enough to do the more elaborate ones. In the old days of live-in furniture maker apprentices... the apprentice's first projects were small... a tool box... a stool... until they were skilled enough to be trusted with a small table... years later they were skilled enough to do elaborate pieces.

Baby steps... stretch your skills a little each time. Don't dive into the deep end... until you can swim.

Well the way I heard everyone talk about servo motors or foot controllers, or something like that I thought you needed something special to slow down a 15-91. But it will go slow, it just likes to race, kinda like me, into the surf, glub :-)

Summer fun in Southern NV involves staying inside until the sun goes down. At least then the 115 is bearable without the suns rays. Only 102 today.

Okay I am new here and I JUST FOUND THIS....... but since I a love a good challenge and am about to go in for Surgery on Monday I will need something to keep busy the next week.

What is the deadline and how can I find the July Challenge if there is one?

Do y'all do these challenges each month?

How can I subscribe to the challenges?

I have an idea and even if I miss the deadline, I still need the practice either way..... Woooo whoooooo cant wait!!!!

Where is my swivel knife and modeling spoon?

Custom yes we do these every month. If you look at the top of this board you'll see 'watch topic' which will be for this month. Next month the July challenge will be in the same place but you'll have to 'rewatch.' Welcome, good luck on your surgery and grab that swivel knife!!!! Cheryl