Here's my first attempt at a case for my girlfriend's Kindle. I know my carving isn't great, but this is only the 4th time I've really attempted it. It's quite an intricate design and I had trouble getting the bevelling smooth. Turns out navigating lots of tight curves & corners with a tiny beveller is a lot harder than gradual curves & straight lines with a bigger beveller!

It's meant to look like an antique, hence the patchy dye job, but it ended up patchier than I wanted. I used Tandy's Eco Flo All In One, fudge brown, which always seems to come out really patchy. I have their acorn brown also and it seems a lot smoother. Maybe I got a bad batch, or am I letting it sit for too long before removing it?

Anyway, I'll keep practicing - any feedback would be much appreciated!

post-22869-065517400 1338380300_thumb.jp

post-22869-015880600 1338380311_thumb.jp

Edited by daveydude

Looks good to me, nice work.

You can smooth those beveling marks with a modeling spoon.

Here's my first attempt at a case for my girlfriend's Kindle. I know my carving isn't great, but this is only the 4th time I've really attempted it. It's quite an intricate design and I had trouble getting the bevelling smooth. Turns out navigating lots of tight curves & corners with a tiny beveller is a lot harder than gradual curves & straight lines with a bigger beveller!

It's meant to look like an antique, hence the patchy dye job, but it ended up patchier than I wanted. I used Tandy's Eco Flo All In One, fudge brown, which always seems to come out really patchy. I have their acorn brown also and it seems a lot smoother. Maybe I got a bad batch, or am I letting it sit for too long before removing it?

Anyway, I'll keep practicing - any feedback would be much appreciated!

Nice work, I tried the All-in-one dyes and threw them out, I do use some Tandy Dyes but only the Highlighters, they give you the same effect but you can control the color and eveness better, only difference is then you need to put a finish on them. Now I mostly use angelus dyes and fiebings Antiquing but I still use the Tandy Hi-Lite dyes from time to time.

Ken

You can tell I've not attempted bevelling for a while - completely forgot about the spoon! Too late to fix it now the leather is dry & has a finish on it?

Ken - yes I think I need to experiment with some different finishes. The spirit based Tandy dyes I have seem to be OK, but the all-in-one is very hit & miss.

The main problem I had with All-in-one is on large pieces such as a Guitar Strap, when you had to go back to the bottle, the dye you had already rubbed on set and the new dye didn't match making it "Blotchy" and uneven. I think it is becuase of the automatic finish the All-in-one brags about. It may work for very small pieces like conchos up to say coasters, after that you're taking a real chance with it ruining a good project. With other dyes you can reapply until you get them even and you can remove some of the pigment before it dries if it gets too "heavy", you lose that control with All-in-one.

Just my oppionion,

Ken

Edited by Chief31794

The main problem I had with All-in-one is on large pieces such as a Guitar Strap, when you had to go back to the bottle, the dye you had already rubbed on set and the new dye didn't match making it "Blotchy" and uneven. I think it is becuase of the automatic finish the All-in-one brags about. It may work for very small pieces like conchos up to say coasters, after that you're taking a real chance with it ruining a good project. With other dyes you can reapply until you get them even and you can remove some of the pigment before it dries if it gets too "heavy", you lose that control with All-in-one.

Just my oppionion,

Ken

Yes definitely - the larger the area, the harder it is to get it even. Actually next to impossible.

That my friend is one fine piece of work!!! I absolutely love it!