jprieto

Leathercraft Vs Leatherworks

Lots of good opinions above. Here is what comes to mind for ME when these terms are used.

Leathercraft = leather that has been carved, tooled, stamped, dyed painted, etc.

Leathercrafter does the above.

Leatherwork= harness, shoes,etc. things made from leather without the artistic part.

Leatherworker does the leather work.

Some things can involve both such as saddles holsters etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artisan

I think that pretty much says it all about being an ARTISAN.

It was a VERY old term used in the Middle ages...now the terms are just replaced by what you are trained to do...

Carpenter,Saddler,Dyer,Craftsman,Blacksmith... again very old jobs ( but TRADES THAT CONTINUE)

Myself, I always get a funny cringe any time anyone says Leatherworks...it just sounds silly...

I like to consider my self a Leather Artist.

Just like a Painter, Leather is my canvas. And I draw original art work, and then carve and color it on leather...so Leather Artist Works For me...

But I have heard people here in Europe call me an Artisan...just seems a little old fashioned, and is really to broad of a spectrum, though I guess I do fit into more than 3-4 or those categories, so MAYBE THEY ARE RIGHT????

These are people who know next to nothing about what it is I do, only that I am in several different trades.

Carpentry,Masonry,Metal Worker,Leather Artist, Telephone Lineman, Musician whatever puts food on the table...

So I guess it just depends on YOU.

There is no is:) AS PAUL PUT IT BEST.

LOVE IT! That is going on the next stack of business cards..... Leather Artisan!

When I was deciding on a business name, Leatherworks, "316 Custom Leatherworks", fit better for me instead of anything else.