Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bobby Allen

I Need A Leather Worker/tailor/cobbler/taxidermist.

Guest Bobby Allen

Hello folks,

I am in need of someone to help me make a wild hog fur coat and boots.

I do not have the hides yet (hunt was not very successful).

I am working with one of the ranch hands and over the next few months he will be getting me the necessary hides and getting them tanned. Once my bank account has recovered from that I will begin the real work.

This is not an urgent project. I expect it will take 10 months to complete once the hides are back from the tannery.

I have requested 4 black hides about 3 feet from nose to tail and 2 black or gray hides about 5 feet from nose to tail.

I will be getting a pair of 7" platform boots. The idea is to use 2 of the small hides to cover the boots in such a way that the hog nose is on my middle toe.

The other 2 smaller hides will be used for the sleeves of the coat. The heads of the hogs will be shoulder pads with their nose pointing toward my neck.

The head will be removed from one of the large hides and used to make a hat such that the nose appears where the rim of a baseball hat would. The lower jaw will be used to make a necklace. The result is my face will be framed with the hogs mouth.

The rest of this hide will make the back of the coat.

The remaining hide will be split from nose to tail. This will make up the front of the coat. The 1/2s will be arranged such that the top tusk can be used as a clasp.

The coat will have a linen lining and several large inside pockets.

I have not figured out the budget for this yet (that is one reason for the 10 months) Checking taxidermy prices I am expecting the work on the boots to run 500-800 and the coat from 800-1200

Thanks,

Bob

You need to post where you are located because Leatherworker.net is a worldwide forum, and wild pigs are found all over.

You need to post where you are located because Leatherworker.net is a worldwide forum, and wild pigs are found all over.

Sorry about that...

I am just outside of Dallas Texas.

Now this is an interesting project well beyond my abilities. Are you making a costume for a rock band or movie part?

What you need is a furrier, the people who make fur coats.

I'd suggest you find a local store that sells fur coats and ask them who does their alterations. That would be the guy/gal to get to do the work.

For the coat, look for a Furrier in your area.