Bifrost

Reduce Noise Tooling Leather?

Like Chavez, put the granite on top a thick cushion to get a better working height when on your knees. Or at a table, add a good sturdy foam cushion about 2" thick between the table and the granite.

That's what I do :thumbsup:

Michelle has a point... If you are doing a lot of tooling you need the right hammer or maul, I don't tool a lot but I use pricking irons a lot and I have noticed a remarkable difference since forking out for a pair of Barry King Mauls.

I can smack away all day with pinpoint accuracy.

Cyberthrasher is quite right, some hammers are for swinging to create impact, a maul is a tapper, a heavy tapper.

Less effort on your part so fatigue is less of an issue over long durations. It's a dead blow so les noise and resonance.

I use a 12 inch thick 3 foot long cherry wood log for marking and it can hardly be heard from outside of the workshop.

I know it sounds like a lot of money, but the right tool for the job is always cheaper than a cheap wrong tool.

Nige

Thanks Nige, I've seen your log in your videos... One day I might have the same, at the moment I live in a rented apartment and don't have room for such things. I think I'll start saving up for a BK maul, might look at the other items he sells to see if I can get several things and save on postage.

At the moment it's just a hobby so don't want to send too much, one day it might become more though.

At the moment it's just a hobby so don't want to send too much, one day it might become more though.

Even hobbies require the right tools for the job in order to keep it fun. Pick up some bevelers from BK while you're at it, that will be more than worth the price.