SooperJake

Hand Stitching Question With Pictures

I need to get a good camera but here is a shot of my second practice piece from today.

Jake

L:ooks a whole bunch better, keep it up. Mike

Edited by katsass

Probably been covered already but the size of the thread, needle, and awl all have to "fit" together before you'll get good looking hand stitching.

In all the Stohlman books I have, I never saw him using pliers to stitch 2 or 3 layers of leather together......but I'll admit, I've used them to get out of some tight spots.

And Tandy does not carry a decent awl anymore...no knock on them, but they just don't carry a good one.

Look up Bob Douglas...he makes a great one. $100 is a bit pricey for one but if you're gonna use one everyday, it's a good investment.

This website that first got me to want to try making a holster http://www.shanewhit...r/holsters/tut/, the guy wears surgical gloves to add traction so you can easily pull the needle through without pliers.It looks like he is wearing latex. I was using needle nose at first, but the rough jaws really chew up the needles. I don't have a smooth pair, but will probably get some to have on hand.

Back to the gloves: having been a woodworker for years, I have tons of nitrile gloves, and that is what I use, which adds amazing stickiness to pulling the needles through. Plus, I have decent hand strength still.

I'm pretty happy with the stitching I got this last time. I think the thread color doesn't show enough contrast, but looking close it is tight, with no gaps at the holes

and each stitch looks pretty straight. One or two stitches have a little angle to them, but overall , front and back look clean.

Another 10,000 stitches and I'll be a hand sewing grumpy old man, too, and that will be the cat's ass! :cheers:

Jake

p.s. There is no reason on Earth an awl should cost $100 dollars.

Probably been covered already but the size of the thread, needle, and awl all have to "fit" together before you'll get good looking hand stitching.

In all the Stohlman books I have, I never saw him using pliers to stitch 2 or 3 layers of leather together......but I'll admit, I've used them to get out of some tight spots.

And Tandy does not carry a decent awl anymore...no knock on them, but they just don't carry a good one.

Look up Bob Douglas...he makes a great one. $100 is a bit pricey for one but if you're gonna use one everyday, it's a good investment.

Edited by SooperJake

i gotta agree about the $100 awl. i can't for the life of me imagine what kind of material or constructon that could prompt that kind of a price. if one can afford it and if it works for you, more power to you. i make my own.

as for those needles, i've used those big eyed needles and i can't stand them. i was always breaking the needle at the eye. i use the 1192-10 harness needle and have nevr had a problem.

i guess to sum up the suggestions, you have to stay consistent in the sitching throughout the entire project for it to look right.

There is no reason on Earth an awl should cost $100 dollars.

My exact sentiment... til I owned a Douglas.

My exact sentiment... til I owned a Douglas.

Just to beat a dead horse --- I use a 40+ year old Osborne. Newer ones arent near as good I understand. Mike