wind power

Calling All Singer 42 Series Owners

Hi Folks,

I know this is another one of those Singer 42 threads...I promise this will be my last one.

I need to ask any owners of the Singer 42's, in particular Singer 42-5 owners, what thickness of leather they have sewn with theirs and what size thread?

In the previous thread Wiz reccomended not much more than 277 thread, and I can agree, but where I'm suffering from is the actual experience from being behind the machine....so I've got to ask, does the machine seem to handle 277 nylon without a whole lot of grief of does it seem like the sewing machine is trying to tear itself apart.

I would really like to give this machine a go for at least a year or two until I can gather the funds for a nice 441 style Cowboy machine....but I would hate to purchase this Singer and it not hold up to the task of using 277 thread in about 3/8th inch of leather

Here is a photo of the beast:

5L15E75H53na3F93Iac5h2e411ed8fc4714ee.jpg

Any and all help would be a great help!

Thanks,

Gavin

Unfortunately, I don't know much about how to tell thread sizes. I got LOTS of spools with my machine, and have not needed to seek out more. The labels on the spools have lots of numbers, and I don't know which numbers designate the size. One spool says "size FF", whatever that means, and some say M 138 BS CLASS A, some seem to be lighter and say 69. Some say VT-295-E, and some say SIZE 'E'. All that I have is Nylon. I just use whatever seems to work best.

I gather there are several different size systems for thread, and the charts I have found are not much help in determining what I have. Anyhow, perhaps Wizcrafts or Sewmun can enlighten us on how to decypher thread labels. It is just as confusing as understanding the various needle size systems, (which I finally figured out, at least for what I use). However, I have no difficulty at all in sewing 3/8ths of an inch thickness of leather with my machine, and a full 1/2 inch if I'm careful.

From my experience, the 42-5 is a great machine, once you learn it's capabilities and limitations and work within those parameters.

I gather there are several different size systems for thread, and the charts I have found are not much help in determining what I have. Anyhow, perhaps Wizcrafts or Sewmun can enlighten us on how to decypher thread labels. It is just as confusing as understanding the various needle size systems, (which I finally figured out, at least for what I use).

Please take a look at this thread and needle size chart on the Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines website.

Great chart, THANX !!!!

Hi folks

Thanks for the information,that actually helped alot it appears the flywheel on the 42 series allows smooth sailing on thick leather but also appears the machine would possibly take a pounding on size 277 and beyond.

I have a fairly robust Singer 111w155 and have tweaked it enough to sew with 277 but the bobbin case is taking a pounding so I quit doing so and dropped down to 207 which makes me feel better knowing I can sew with it knowing I'm not beating my machine to death.

I would really hate to buy that old Singer knowing I would only beat it to death pushing it past its limits.

I guess I will continue to save my pennies!

All the best,

Gavin

Stick your change in jar as soon as you walk in the door. Another thing is when you get a dollar bill back in change put it in a pocket by it's self and put it away as soon as you walk in the door. Between both of them it will add up pretty quick and you really don't miss it to much. That's what i do and then get tools i want.

Here is a photo of the flywheel on my Union Lockstitch Machine. This 60+ pound, two part clutch/flywheel flywheel really smooths out its operation.

post-11118-035156000 1341719236_thumb.jp

Here is a photo of my Cowboy CB4500, showing how huge its 30+ pound flywheel is.

post-11118-012096000 1341719238_thumb.jp

Both of these machines have incredible punching power at very slow speeds. Their smooth slow speed operating capabilities are due in large part to these humongous flywheels, as well as the incredibly big take-up parts, shafts and bearings. Everything on them is super-sized, so that they can use very heavy thread, very large needles and very thick leather.

Years ago we had a customer making nylon tow rope w/a 42-5 & he used #346 top & bottom.

But since leather is harder to sew I would stick to what Wiz says & use the #277 max rule.

As long as you oil the machine regular it'll take the abuse.

Bob

I have a friend that got hold of a 42-5 that had a much smaller than normal flywheel installed on it for some reason, perhaps to speed it up. Anyhow, because I have machine shop capabilities, I modified an old 29-4 flywheel, and installed it for him. It worked out very well. I did it by installing the 29-4 wheel backwards after machining off the center boss and bolting on a V-belt pulley. The heavy wheel gave the machine back the "grunt" it needed to punch through heavy material.

Hi folks,

Cascabel had me worried it might not handle the bigger threads such as 277,since most of his work was with smaller nylon.

Wiz, one day I will grab a cowboy machine just like the one you have there...until then it looks like Bob has finally swung me over to the 42...now if I can!

up the road on the next day or two.

All the best!

Gavin