LeatherDreams

Looking For Celtic Rune Stamp Set

Hello All, I have been recently bitten by the leather bug and I have been working with suede and making jewelry. I was fortunate to have a Tandy store near by and my eyes have now been opened to the beautiful and intricate patterns that can be created with leather. One of my projects involves a rune set, but I Tandy discontinued their stamp set. Does anyone have a Celtic Rune set they may want to sell? Or donate to a loving home?

If you don't have one maybe someone you know might. Would you be so kind to ask around for me please?

Hi there:

Please don't waste your time looking and paying a HUGE price for a discontinued set of stamps.

Almost any rune font you'll ever need is right on the internet. Just pick one... https://www.google.com/search?q=Rune+Font&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=9j3&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wPn4T_HNEIirrQHptaWLCQ&ved=0CF4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=677

To use these, use your monitor ... put a clear plastic sheet over it and trace with a sharpie.

Or if you want search for and download the font and use your graphics editor to orient and align before you trace.

Tandy still sells the sets even though they're discontinued.

I was at their Harrisburg, PA store just last weekend and they had about 10 of the sets available. That store is one of the larger ones with a HUGE inventory of everything on hand. I would just call them up. Their toll free number is 800-233-7155

I purchased a set at the Allentown PA store a couple of months ago as well and they had another set there on the shelf. They're still the same price as when they were originally sold by Tandy as well.

And for what it's worth, they're not really Celtic. ( I know even Tandy calls them Celtic runes ) They're Germanic. The closest the Celts got to a runic language was the Ogham and it doesn't really compare to any of the futharcs.

1341717041[/url]' post='255611']

Hi there:

Please don't waste your time looking and paying a HUGE price for a discontinued set of stamps.

Almost any rune font you'll ever need is right on the internet. Just pick one... https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=677

To use these, use your monitor ... put a clear plastic sheet over it and trace with a sharpie.

Or if you want search for and download the font and use your graphics editor to orient and align before you trace.

Thanks for the advice. I think I read about you doing this on another thread and it seems very logical and probably results in a more professional result. Thank you for your response.

1341727304[/url]' post='255624']

Tandy still sells the sets even though they're discontinued.

I was at their Harrisburg, PA store just last weekend and they had about 10 of the sets available. That store is one of the larger ones with a HUGE inventory of everything on hand. I would just call them up. Their toll free number is 800-233-7155

I purchased a set at the Allentown PA store a couple of months ago as well and they had another set there on the shelf. They're still the same price as when they were originally sold by Tandy as well.

And for what it's worth, they're not really Celtic. ( I know even Tandy calls them Celtic runes ) They're Germanic. The closest the Celts got to a runic language was the Ogham and it doesn't really compare to any of the futharcs.

Thank you so much for the resource and information. Glad be a part of such a helpful group of people.

Thanks for the advice. I think I read about you doing this on another thread and it seems very logical and probably results in a more professional result. Thank you for your response.

what I like about it is you can use any font you want... and if you feel like having 5" letters you can. It's much more versatile than a lump of 3/4" stamps that can be a challenge to keep straight and even.

Sylvia,

So you would trace it and then cut it with something like a swivel blade? Or you would trace it, and make your own stamp out of metal?

I have never stamped leather and I am going to start, so I am just learning. Please forgive the ignorance on the subject.

Thank you,

BDT

what I like about it is you can use any font you want... and if you feel like having 5" letters you can. It's much more versatile than a lump of 3/4" stamps that can be a challenge to keep straight and even.

Edited by Big Daddy T

Hi Big Daddy T.

Thanks for asking... Questions are a good thing. ;)

I tape the clear sheet over my monitor. Size up the font the size and orientation I want... then I take a felt pen to trace the font on my clear sheet.... then lay that clear sheet on my cased leather piece, sometimes I tape it down so it won't move... then I use a stylus to re-trace the letters, through the plastic, indenting the leather. Then I swivel knife and bevel... or swivel knife background it in.

Since you call yourself Big Daddy T. I'll show you something I did using this method. (the fellow is 6'7 and rather "robust") The strap was 67" long tip to tip at it's longest setting. (was like wrestling a python I tell ya!) This one is swivel knifed and beveled.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/522379_3587573457152_1939540644_n.jpg

NICE.

Thank you for the piece and the example. Yes, I am not dainty, to say the least.

So it is tracing and then some skill with the swivel knife. You could basically transfer anything that would fit the piece and cut it in. Removed the need for a 'stamp'. as such. And with 'runic' stamps it would be line cutting--again not needing to 'stamp' to reproduce the effect.

Thank you for the feedback. That helps.

I have been toying with what to buy first: a stamp set or a swivel knife.

I think this might seal the deal.

And I like the photo. Good work.

Thanks again,

BDT

Hi Big Daddy T.

Thanks for asking... Questions are a good thing. ;)

I tape the clear sheet over my monitor. Size up the font the size and orientation I want... then I take a felt pen to trace the font on my clear sheet.... then lay that clear sheet on my cased leather piece, sometimes I tape it down so it won't move... then I use a stylus to re-trace the letters, through the plastic, indenting the leather. Then I swivel knife and bevel... or swivel knife background it in.

Since you call yourself Big Daddy T. I'll show you something I did using this method. (the fellow is 6'7 and rather "robust") The strap was 67" long tip to tip at it's longest setting. (was like wrestling a python I tell ya!) This one is swivel knifed and beveled.

https://sphotos-b.xx...939540644_n.jpg

Thank you for the feedback. That helps. I have been toying with what to buy first: a stamp set or a swivel knife.

I think this might seal the deal.

And I like the photo. Good work.

Thanks again,

BDT

Thanks for the kind comment. That was my 3rd ever strap. :) Yes, definitely get a quality swivel knife. Currently, My best knife is a Barry King. The next one I hope to buy is a Tangleboss one that does the swivel in a different manner. I think it will take the struggle out of scroll work. Here's a vid if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgXL01nfWgA

The clear plastic and monitor idea isn't mine... but I have ran with it. It opens up a whole new world of designs. If you can take a photo and turn it into an line drawing... you are only limited by the size of the monitor but even that could be solved with reference marks and basically cutting a larger design into 4 or 6 sections. Line art, and fonts are readily available online, even free coloring book pages... patterns in old books... etc. I can't wait to see your first attempt at this.

btw... now is the time to stock up on heavy duty clear sheet protectors if you plan to use those. I recently got some thin clear vinyl at True Value by the yard. It is like 54" wide and sold at around $5 a yard. That's a lot of designs. :)

Edited by Sylvia

Thanks for the kind comment. That was my 3rd ever strap. :) Yes, definitely get a quality swivel knife. Currently, My best knife is a Barry King. The next one I hope to buy is a Tangleboss one that does the swivel in a different manner. I think it will take the struggle out of scroll work. Here's a vid if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgXL01nfWgA

The clear plastic and monitor idea isn't mine... but I have ran with it. It opens up a whole new world of designs. If you can take a photo and turn it into an line drawing... you are only limited by the size of the monitor but even that could be solved with reference marks and basically cutting a larger design into 4 or 6 sections. Line art, and fonts are readily available online, even free coloring book pages... patterns in old books... etc. I can't wait to see your first attempt at this.

btw... now is the time to stock up on heavy duty clear sheet protectors if you plan to use those. I recently got some thin clear vinyl at True Value by the yard. It is like 54" wide and sold at around $5 a yard. That's a lot of designs. :)

Has your youtube link become corrupted? I click it and get a google picture llnk for 'hoar frost' ....Checkin on my end to make sure its not my computer. lol

Ok I checked on my end... if I copy and paste the link, it does what its supposed to--goes to the youtube vid, but clicking it goes to the google pics...just thought you might wanna know...

Edited by Firstrun

Has your youtube link become corrupted? I click it and get a google picture llnk for 'hoar frost' ....Checkin on my end to make sure its not my computer. lol

Sorry about that..... I thought I had corrected it but apparently it didn't take.

Try this one.

Sorry about that..... I thought I had corrected it but apparently it didn't take.

Try this one.

No apologies necessary! I just wanted you to know it was acting strange. And thanks for the redone vid link!

That does look like a wickedly sweet twist on the traditional swivel knife. When/if you get one, be sure to let us know how you like it.

I love getting new tools, but it might take me a while to save up for that one. :)

A couple of the members here who suffered from arthritic hands got one but I've not heard whether or not they felt it helped or if they liked them. Apparently there is a bit of a learning curve if you've used a normal swivel knife for a while.

Pretty pictures, none the less.

I think I am going to go with a tangleboss as well and skip the pain and learning curve of an inferior swivel knife. It looks like it would be FAR less work and fatigue than a fixed blade or barrel swivel knife...

Thanks!

BDT

My apologies if I misspoke. What I meant to say was something along these lines:

I have never used a swivel knife. So I can't speak to them. But I am a blacksmith. And there are SEVERAL times when you buy a new tool and you get the "beginner" model and it's a POS and tough to learn on. Then you realize (or someone tells you) that it is in fact a piece of garbage and you should have bought the mid grade or the high end version and you would have had a MUCH easier time learning. (it's higher quality, you get what you pay for, etc etc etc...)

Or, in the craft of blacksmithing we are encouraged (sometimes forced) to MAKE our own tools. This not only teaches you to learn them, but you really get a feel for what works better than not. Want that angle narrower rather than more open? You hammer it shut. Holy cow, THAT make life more difficult. So you hammer it back open. Trial and error.

From what I have read about swivel knives, they take a good deal of work to become proficient. I would rather shell out $140 for a top end, top of the line model that will make learning the tool a joy, then to buy a $10 version, a $20 version, a $80 version and struggle and not have fun with the hobby. Especially if I only find out that gosh, I really do want the $140 model after all.

So my "inferior" was speaking only to the experience, not the product.

Apologies if I offended anyone. I meant on insult to a product.

Big Daddy T

p.s. The blacksmith puzzles are numbered...1,2,3,4 etc. The heart in the box is #1, Contestoga Plaything, etc. I made #1 and learned a LOT. I then couldn't find the pattern I wanted for #2 so I skipped it and went on to #3. WELL. See, they are ordered for a REASON. You learn to use the tools and learn different techniques that you have to master before you move on. The training builds on each one before it. I was WAY frustrated. Someone pointed out my error when they asked to see #2. I told them I skipped and they laughed in my face. My experience was inferior because of how I approached it. That is the kind of experience I want to avoid in the swivel knife arena. I can be my own worst enemy.

Thank you for your time and understanding,

BDT

LOL! Remember the "Ease of learning" is completely implied here as neither person speaking about the tangleboss has any actual practical experience with it. You might find out it's actually easier to use a normal swivel knife.

It would be like me saying: "A japanese hand saw is inferior to a basic handsaw based on the time it takes to learn to properly use one". If I had no experience with either that is.

Trust me I totally get it. :) I just find it funny. It's almost like a bad commercial. Perhaps there's a Black River Laser template that might help?

Edited by HellfireJack

Hey there, just in case you were still looking for a rune set then this site sells them, its from Denmark but I'm pretty sure they ship overseas,

http://www.leatherhouse.eu/products/59-stamps-alphabet-amp-number-sets/937-runes-leather-alphabet-set/

I just saw a few sets of these at the Tandy store in San Berardino, ca for $30. I am sure they will ship whereever you are.