srbonner

My First Oak Leaf

This is the first oak leaf that I attempted. Im tired of just doing basketstamps, so I needed to branch out.

post-27488-056282800 1341836221_thumb.jp

Overall you done pretty well. Use a hair tool to define some lines on the stem. Work on walking your beveler. You can smooth this one out with a modeling tool.

Your knife cuts for the edge are uneven. Try to use the same pressure on the knife as you make your cuts.

ferg

This is the first oak leaf that I attempted. Im tired of just doing basketstamps, so I needed to branch out.

Ferg,

As a novice I am having trouble noticing what you mean by uneven knife cuts, what are the indicators of that? What I'm really saying is I don't see the error in this picture and I'm certain I wouldn't recognize it in any work I might create, so what is it I am looking for? I also feel I've worded this question oddly and I think I need a beer....

Oak leaves are tough, all you need is practice. My advice is practice your decorative cuts, I start harder and end lighter, but that is actually a very good first oak leaf. I use a nylon beveler blade in a swivel knife for a lot of work, but oak leaves have too many sharp angles to do it entirely with this method. As another poster said, you can smooth the transitions with a modeling tool as well.

Again, you have the basics, just practice and you will be golden.