Sign in to follow this  
Matt Alsaker

First Airbrushing Attempt

I picked up a Badger 155 Anthem airbrush. I did a few practice runs on scrap cardboard and then gave it a shot on a holster. Feedback would be appreciated...

post-28681-070900700 1342142045_thumb.jp

I think that looks great. Not just the airbrush job but the holster overall. I would be proud of as job like that and I would be super pumped to have that finished product on a first attempt.

Have you done any airbrush work before? How was the 155 as far as ease to dial in etc...

Best Regards

Joshua

Edited by Southernbeau

1342142340[/url]' post='256215']

I picked up a Badger 155 Anthem airbrush. I did a few practice runs on scrap cardboard and then gave it a shot on a holster. Feedback would be appreciated...

Matt That holster looks great, doesn't look like it's the first time of anything:)! Are you allowing the muzzle to protrude past the holster or just using the full-size to form for the compact?

I think that looks great. Not just the airbrush job but the holster overall. I would be proud of as job like that and I would be super pumped to have that finished product on a first attempt.

Have you done any airbrush work before? How was the 155 as far as ease to dial in etc...

Best Regards

Joshua

I've never airbrushed anything. I'm not sure what to think of the airbrush since I've never used one before. I short stroked it a couple times and I think I was holding it to far away from the leather sometimes. I'm really happy with the 155, I just need to work more on technique.

Matt That holster looks great, doesn't look like it's the first time of anything:)! Are you allowing the muzzle to protrude past the holster or just using the full-size to form for the compact?

With this holster the Glock 17's muzzle protrudes beyond the end of the holster. The Glock 19 sits right at the bottom of the holster body. I haven't had anyone request that I extend the body down to cover the muzzle, but I have cut a few shorter for the Glock 26. I wear a 17 almost daily in this same model holster.

From the grump; Matt you did a fine job, not only with the airbrush, but the entire rig. I personally dislike the exposed muzzle, but that's a personal thing and not a reflection on your workmanship. My only negative comment would be that the mag release is covered, and generally that ain't too good of a thing. Mike

Edited by katsass

From the grump; Matt you did a fine job, not only with the airbrush, but the entire rig. I personally dislike the exposed muzzle, but that's a personal thing and not a reflection on your workmanship. My only negative comment would be that the mag release is covered, and generally that ain't too good of a thing. Mike

Mike....here's a photo of the back. The back plate has a curve in it so the magazine release is accessible and so you can easily grip the firearm. The first few holsters I made in this style were cut straight across the back plate, which made the firearm difficult to grip and covered the magazine release.

post-28681-085159200 1342189070_thumb.jp

Fine looking workmanship..What type of sewing machine are you using ?

Looks good to me!!

Fine looking workmanship..What type of sewing machine are you using ?

My Christmas and birthday present for the next ten years was the Cobra Class 4 my wife picked up for me. My hands were getting pretty sore.

1342185227[/url]' post='256271']

With this holster the Glock 17's muzzle protrudes beyond the end of the holster. The Glock 19 sits right at the bottom of the holster body. I haven't had anyone request that I extend the body down to cover the muzzle, but I have cut a few shorter for the Glock 26. I wear a 17 almost daily in this same model holster.

Matt I am with Katass on the protruding muzzle situation and not only theoretically but from experience. A couple years ago I was splitting wood with my trusty gen2 g22 on my side in a belt slide style holster(granted this exposes more of the gun then your design) and carelessly stepped backwards onto a piece of split wood. This caused me to fall backwards and break my a$, although I was much more pained by the ruthless gouges that the gravel left in my previously unmarred old glock:(

Edited by D Fingers

Mike....here's a photo of the back. The back plate has a curve in it so the magazine release is accessible and so you can easily grip the firearm. The first few holsters I made in this style were cut straight across the back plate, which made the firearm difficult to grip and covered the magazine release.

post-28681-085159200 1342189070_thumb.jp

ALRIGHT Matt, that's enough!!. With that back side view you take one of the little pleasures of an old grump away from him --- nothing else to gripe about. Good work. Mike

Edited by katsass

ALRIGHT Matt, that's enough!!. With that back side view you take one of the little pleasures of an old grump away from him --- nothing else to gripe about. Good work. Mike

I've only been a member on this forum since February. I've read a ton of your posts. So you and all the other leather craftsmen who are willing to share your knowledge with the rest of us get the credit any of the work I've done. I read stuff on here almost daily and learn new things or different ways. So...thanks for all your prior and future informative posts.

That is a really nice holster, carving, airbrushing, general design & stitching look great. I really like the "sunburst" style finish. I love seeing the work on this forum ... I really inspires me to try new designs, etc.