Sign in to follow this  

Ive only been making holsters for a year now..We originally started out making just kydex "tactical OWB" holsters, but very quickly transitioned into hybrid holsters as well. In this picture, the holster isnt complete, we still had stitching to do, but I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

post-33161-050955000 1342403428_thumb.jp

Cool. I like the combination of materials, looks great, I bet the leather is better on the skin than the Kydex?

David that really does look nice. I don't like what kydex does to a guns finish but if I was going to use a hybrid I would want it to look like that:)

Looks good. I too believe the kydex is too hard on the finish. Have you thought about using a smaller drill bit for your stitching holes or using an awl. It would improve the look of the stitching.

Yes we have played with using a smaller bit. Makes the stitching process much harder to the point we are tearing up the thread getting it through the holes.

We are playing with options to line the kydex with leather. But no luck yet

Has anyone tried lining the kydex to protect the finish? A 2 oz leather would work wouldn't it?

Jake

Yes we have played with using a smaller bit. Makes the stitching process much harder to the point we are tearing up the thread getting it through the holes.

We are playing with options to line the kydex with leather. But no luck yet

What size needle and thread are you using? If the thread doesn't have a number than how many cords is it. (cords = strands). What size drill bit?

Very nice looking holster.

I carry a Kahr PM9 (blackened stainless) in a holster very similar to this one. I have used this holster for about six months now and have not noticed any damage to the finish of the gun. In fact it looks quite good for the hard use it gets.

I do agree with the advice on stitching. A sharp and highly polished Osborne awl blade will make prettier stitching holes.

I would like to know where you get the blackened screws and washers. I used rivets to fasten mine together. It has worked well but I like the look of the fasteners on yours.

No Name, I get our screws, and finishing washers from Old Faithful Holsters.. he sells bulk quantities.. I usually order then 100 at a time.

I can dig around and find a picture of that holster being worn... and yes, we have played with linning the kydex with leather.. its hard to get anything to stick... but we have played with different options.. just none of them have worked well.

this is what the holster looks like being worn... this is NOT where we recommend wearing the holster as a fall backwards could cause severe injury, we only placed the holster there for this picture

This is another holster we made recently.. and yes, we tested it many many times before we picked the final position of the gun/magazine.. and when worn on the hip, the gun clears the magazine

post-33161-051912600 1342567207_thumb.jp

post-33161-082266200 1342567366_thumb.jp

We have been playing with different bonding agents to bond thin leather to the inside of the kydex to help protect the finish of the gun

This leather lines kydex holster looks pretty nice..Loctite 300...but there is no detail about how it is holding up.

http://www.kydexforum.com/thread-857.html

We have been playing with different bonding agents to bond thin leather to the inside of the kydex to help protect the finish of the gun

sooper, thanks for the heads up.. ill test that method

Call SLC, they have a bonding agent that will stick to kydex...ask for Ben, he knows what it's called...

sooper, thanks for the heads up.. ill test that method

Tucker gun leather was the first to bond the leather (their 'silent thunder', IIRC), so it can be done. If fact, I've been doing it for quite a while now, selling through the local gun store under the name Hydex.....so dibbs on that name.