Sign in to follow this  
uscglechief

Making Deglazer

Greetings everyone,

I know I've seen this before but can't seem to find the string, please forgive for starting it again. But I've been told you can make your own deglazer by mixing ammonia, alcohol and water. Does this work well to remove glue and dirt act? and are the parts equal?

One additional question, I am making a attaché or I guess a better description would be a large shoulder bag with brass D-rings and buckles and I have used large copper rivets for reinforcement where the shoulder strap will attach. My question is if I decide to go with a natural color, what if anything can I use to give it that "older than it is look?" Hi-liter? Have been bouncing back and forth between the natural look and several coats of Fiebings Chocolate dye.

As always any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jesse

HI Jesse,

I was just looking for this earlier because of a staining problem I have on some leather. I think this is what you are looking for:

http://leatherworker...=1

I don't have a suggestion on your finish question though. Maybe someone else can help on that.

Bob

Edited by Bob Blea

It's not a deglazer... it's a facsimile of Fiebings "Dye Prep" it is supposed to clean and prepare the leather for dying.

90 parts water

5 parts alcohol (ever clear booze... the highest proof you can get)

5 parts sudsy ammonia.

Thank you both!! That is exactly what I was looking for, guess i shoud have searched sudsy or everclear

It's not a deglazer... it's a facsimile of Fiebings "Dye Prep" it is supposed to clean and prepare the leather for dying.

90 parts water

5 parts alcohol (ever clear booze... the highest proof you can get)

5 parts sudsy ammonia.