dpixel8

Waxed Thread Colors?

Looking to see where I can either source various colors of waxed thread for my watch straps (orange, blue, red, etc) or if someone can tell me the best way that I could (if possible) dye white thread?

Rit dye or other packaged dyes work well. Dye unwaxed thread then wax it yourself. Waxed thread wont take the dye. Waxing your own thread is pretty easy. There are several threads on how to do it. Basically you take the thread, double it and put the end over a hook and then run some beeswax over the string until it has enough wax on it. The amount depends on what you like.

Rit dye or other packaged dyes work well. Dye unwaxed thread then wax it yourself. Waxed thread wont take the dye. Waxing your own thread is pretty easy. There are several threads on how to do it. Basically you take the thread, double it and put the end over a hook and then run some beeswax over the string until it has enough wax on it. The amount depends on what you like.

awesome. That makes sense, just wanted to make sure that was really the way to do it.

Since on the subject of thread, how the HELL does one keep the thread from pulling out of the needles after x-number of stitches? I even keep about 2-3" of extra through the "extra" end. wtf

If your not interested in dying or waxing your own linen thread checkout http://www.royalwoodltd.com/cat14-17aw.htm . They offer a deep selection of colors, but not in all the various cords. Last time I ordered you had to have a minimum order of $100, before then price breaks kicked in.

awesome. That makes sense, just wanted to make sure that was really the way to do it.

Since on the subject of thread, how the HELL does one keep the thread from pulling out of the needles after x-number of stitches? I even keep about 2-3" of extra through the "extra" end. wtf

Dont use the large eye needles from Tandy and are you "tying off" your thread like Al Stohlman shows in his book about sewing leather?

post-22515-006890000 1344298856_thumb.jp

Dont use the large eye needles from Tandy and are you "tying off" your thread like Al Stohlman shows in his book about sewing leather?

post-22515-006890000 1344298856_thumb.jp

Yup, that's what I was doing minus the last step of beeze wax.

And I am assuming you mean these type of needles which I got from springfield, are also incorrect? http://springfieldleather.com/29837/Needle%2CEZ-Thread%2C10pk/

Yup, that's what I was doing minus the last step of beeze wax.

And I am assuming you mean these type of needles which I got from springfield, are also incorrect? http://springfieldle...-Thread%2C10pk/

Yes, Get yourself some harness needles #0 to start. once you master threading them you can go to #1 or #2. Bigger the number smaller the needle. You will probably have to thin the thread with a knife like it shows in the same book. With those two changes it should stop the breaking. The big eye needles let the thread slide around and break fast.

Plus the #0 is easier to pull through the hole.