Sign in to follow this  
LoneStar

Workshop

Got the workshop ready to start making stuff. Will probably post my first project soon for critique by the experts. Was going to use the garage but after finding out what it was going to cost to heat and cool it the practical choice was the spare bedroom. Going to do a few small projects first. Enrolled in a tooling class for next month. First big project will be a saddlebag style hand bag for my sister, I figure the best advertising is someone out there using something I made. This forum is great, a wealth of information, and the members are the best! Excited to get started!

Edited by LoneStar

Sounds like you've set up a nice workshop! I envy you that!

I'm still working from the kitchen table, and I've accumulated various plastic totes and bins in an attempt to stay organized and neat. I tend to leave most of my most-used tools on the table. It drives my mother-in-law crazy, but hubby doesn't mind! We eat at the kitchen island anyway :)

Good luck with your projects!

It drives my mother-in-law crazy, but hubby doesn't mind! We eat at the kitchen island anyway :)

Good luck with your projects!

Funny what bothers others.

My husband and I built a bench for me that is in the garage so I can get my leather junk out of the living room. I have been using one of those tables that go behind the couch... you know the tall skinny ones? That's fine but not much room.

Here's a video of what inspired the bench if you want to build one. Mine is 2'x8'x 32" just the right height for me to work standing or sitting. The total cost of the materials was something like $70. We had screws and nails already. Took 8 2x4s, 2 sheets of 7/16" OSB and 1 white surfaced hard board and some 1inch door stop. (used that for trim around teh top. Glue, screws and brads or finish nails.

Here's one of the work benches I have in the shop. It is a recycled 10' x 42" section of Bowling alley. With the pedestal base it weighs over 500 lbs! If we ever sell the house, it stays!

Even with 5 work benches, I'm always out of work space! You'll be amazed at how fast any empty table top gets cluttered. I think it's some kind of law of nature!

Stitch~

post-25445-036217600 1345280482_thumb.jp

Where did you come up with that? It is too cool, you would hate to even cut something or scratch on it.

Where did you come up with that? It is too cool, you would hate to even cut something or scratch on it.

I called a local bowling alley and asked them if there was a business that did alley installation and refurbishment. They directed me to a company in Cleveland that had a warehouse full of used alleys. The company only

charged me $10.00 a foot & $1.00 cutting charge! It still looks good after 4 years. I love the hard pine and maple sides. We built the pedestal with doubled 2x4's and 2x 10's and added tool drawers underneath. Love that Kreg pocket tool! I guess we had about $200.00 wrapped up in the whole project.

That would make an awesome kitchen island too I would think. I like the laminated boards on edge like that.

If found this cool thing at True Value today, that's going to go on my bench. http://www.truevalue.com/product/3-In-1-Tool-Holder/36431.uts?keyword=tool%20holder

I originally used a coffee can and a plastic Ice Cream container and a tooth brush holder from a bath set to hold my larger tools and knives. I think this will work great. I can screw it to the bench or hang it from a peg board... and it even has a spot for my bottle of water. well actually that's for a spray can but I think it will work nice for a drink holder. Only trouble is that blue is about UGLY... It's getting spray painted asap.