Sign in to follow this  
Chavez

It's Time I Got Myself A Boss...

Hi!

Looking at the lovely discount offered by Tippmann, I have decided to buy my Boss a few months sooner than I planned.

Having never owned or used a sewing machine before, all the bobbins, walking feet, flatbeds are driving me nuts :crazy:.

So, before I place an order, I hope that somebody would be kind enough to help me decide what accessories I need (if any) to get with the machine.

I plan to use the machine for stitching belts, bridle, cases, book covers, and general leatherwork.

1) Spare bobbins - is it a good idea to have a few bobbins or is one enough?

2) Flat bed - I guess since it is only used for thin materials, I don't need it? Or is 1mm veg-tanned kip a thin material when used for lining 2mm leather?

3) Any essential extra presser feet?

4) The material guide - how useful is it and would you recommend getting one?

5) The led light seem like a useful attachment :) - has anyone used it?

6) Threads and needles. I have only used linen thread so far. What is the nylon equivalent of 18/4, 18/5 and 18/6 ? I found a couple conversion tables here but they do not mention linen =(

Thank you very much for your help!

My personal opinions.....

1. Since there is no automatic winder, you can get by with only one bobbin...IF...you will only use one type of thread. If you will use more than one type or color of thread, I think it's a good idea to have at least one bobbin for each thread type.

2.. I can see where it might be useful for things like wallets, when you have multiple small pieces stacked....but I glue everything before sewing anyway, so I've never needed it.

3. I have all the feet, and do 95% of my sewing using only the standard double toe presser foot.

4. It's nice to have for long items like belts, but I think it gets in the way on smaller things. It's entirely possible to work without it, you just need to watch where you're stitching. It's not like the machine is going to run away from you....

5. Haven't used it, I just turn on an overhead light.

6. This is the thread chart from Toledo Industrial Sewing http://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

I'd have a few bobbins - different colors or sizes. I like to have a spare when I am sewing so if run out I can pop another in and go right on. I didn't have their flat bed, but made my own. The downside of the Boss is that you already have one arm running the handle. That leaves one hand to support and guide the piece. Having a flat bed can help support that and makes life easier - big or small work. Mine was an adjustable height so that the table could support the weight while sewing gussets into cases and bags. I mostly used the double toe foot, once in a while a right toe. I used the standard plate mostly but the stirrup plate sure made sewing gussets into bag corners easier. I din't have a material guide and they didbn't have any light set up when I got mine.

Thank you very much for the answers! Looks like I might get the

A few more questions if you don't mind:

1) Are there any parts that tend to wear out faster than the rest (do I need to get any spares right away? I hope not, as I expect it to be pretty well built :) )

2) Thread lubricant - I thought one would use nylon thread just "out of the box". Does it need to be lubricated?

3) Tread wise, by converting linen count to tex and tex to everything else, it seems like 18/4 is close to nylon 346 and 18/5 is something like nylon 415. However I read that nylon 277 (18/3) is the most commonly used thread and in linen terms that's as thin as I'd ever go for stitching leather =/. I am still very confused, but at least I am starting to figure out what size I need. Would you say that 346 is a good size to use (I'll buy them all sooner or later but don't want to end up with a truck of spools :).

Here is a good article if anyone else is trying to figure sizes out:

http://designer-entrepreneurs.com/blog/illustrations/Thread_Sizes.htm

4) Can I use linen thread with the machine?

Thanks again! I wouldn't know what to do without all your advice!

Start with 277. Its a good all around thread. I only use 346 when I really want the thread to stand out.

I have 8 bobbins and thats enough for me.

I have all the presser feet. I use the left zipper as my normal foot. The right zipper when I need it and the center presser when I need to get in somewhere tight. The center foot is one that you will not use ofter but when you need it you really need it.

I have a goose neck lamp I use to light up the area. 12.00 at walmart.

As for needles I use a 794 S 200 as my standard needle. It makes a nice straight looking stitch with none of the angled look some of the other needles make.

Needles are cheap get an assortment and try them.

Don't skimp on bobbins. If you don't have enough you will be wasting thread as you unroll one to fill with another thread.

I have the material guide and it comes in handy on holsters and belts. Not essential but its a good part to have.

I do not have the flat bed.

Thanks!

A quick search shows that 277 is the thickest thread that's sold in the UK, so I think I'll get a few 346 with the machine just to have them handy.

Has anyone tried to use linen thread in the machine? And what about lubrication? =/

Either Dwight or Denster uses waxed linen on his Boss with no real issues other than occasionally needing to remove the extra wax from places it rubs off the thread. The machine is pretty robust, so unless you try to abuse it, it should work just fine for a long while. I got mine second hand from another member here and have done nothing except periodic lubrication and keeping thread in it.

Something I did that has made the unit MUCH easier to use is I semi-permanently mounted it to a base. The nuts are recessed and sandwiched between two boards to make a double layer base that is approx. 18 x 24 inches. Then the entire base is clamped down to a table. This spreads the clamp points out further and makes it more stable, as well as giving me a specific place to keep the little tool box with extra needles, feet, tools,and bobbins. It also opens up your options for clamping as I've got a wide flat surface instead of just the footprint of the machine.

Either Dwight or Denster uses waxed linen on his Boss with no real issues other than occasionally needing to remove the extra wax from places it rubs off the thread. The machine is pretty robust, so unless you try to abuse it, it should work just fine for a long while. I got mine second hand from another member here and have done nothing except periodic lubrication and keeping thread in it.

Something I did that has made the unit MUCH easier to use is I semi-permanently mounted it to a base. The nuts are recessed and sandwiched between two boards to make a double layer base that is approx. 18 x 24 inches. Then the entire base is clamped down to a table. This spreads the clamp points out further and makes it more stable, as well as giving me a specific place to keep the little tool box with extra needles, feet, tools,and bobbins. It also opens up your options for clamping as I've got a wide flat surface instead of just the footprint of the machine.

Thank you.

That's exactly the set up I was thinking of!

I added the LED light, very sweet and well worth it. Didn't realize it would make that much difference, its cheap and easy. I zip tied the cord to the machine to keep it out of the way, with the little self-stick cable guide/clamp like th IT guys use . I have the material guide, but haven't used it much yet and frankly could probably live without it, have for a year anyway. I happened to get a good deal on it from another forum member and thought I'd try it out. I also put the wax pot on with silicone lubricant and I seem to have a lot fewer issues with tension, would do that again. No flatbed,have never need it but like Bruce did, can always make one if need arises. I wind about 3-4 bobbins at a time, seems handier than unthreading and rethreading every time I need a bobbin. buy the little oiler bottle with oil, essential, if it doesnt come with one. Get a bunch of extra needles.

Hi!

Looking at the lovely discount offered by Tippmann, I have decided to buy my Boss a few months sooner than I planned.

Having never owned or used a sewing machine before, all the bobbins, walking feet, flatbeds are driving me nuts :crazy:.

So, before I place an order, I hope that somebody would be kind enough to help me decide what accessories I need (if any) to get with the machine.

I plan to use the machine for stitching belts, bridle, cases, book covers, and general leatherwork.

1) Spare bobbins - is it a good idea to have a few bobbins or is one enough?

2) Flat bed - I guess since it is only used for thin materials, I don't need it? Or is 1mm veg-tanned kip a thin material when used for lining 2mm leather?

3) Any essential extra presser feet?

4) The material guide - how useful is it and would you recommend getting one?

5) The led light seem like a useful attachment :) - has anyone used it?

6) Threads and needles. I have only used linen thread so far. What is the nylon equivalent of 18/4, 18/5 and 18/6 ? I found a couple conversion tables here but they do not mention linen =(

Thank you very much for your help!

Always have spare bobbins, you look funny when you dropp your only bobbin and it rolls under the bench, cant be found and your customer is picking up in two hours...:)

And you will fall in love with different colors on black or brown leather....looks so cool!!...So you want as said more bobbins for diff. colors....I have at least 20 bobbins for each of my machines...Make your own flat bed out of MDF, easy!!...and you will eventually need it!!

First two days you get by with standard super wide pressure foot, then you will want a zipper foot left and right to get close to the zipper, edge or buckle!!!....there is more feet and you will want them all...haha....trust me!!

Material guide is nice to have....but after about 5 years of practice you make a straight line blindfolded eating a sandwich while sewing!!

Light is a must have, ur own night stand light or fancy LED...LED is brighter!!

Check what system they use and get 3 different sizes....I do not know the Boss, but thread in bonded Nylon 92 for light work like wallets, fancy belts, then 138 for some heavy belts, chaps and such....207 0r a bit more for lighter holsters and horse gear.....needle size is according to thread...ask Boss people!!

Only my 2 cents....now go and have fun!!

James

Always have spare bobbins, you look funny when you dropp your only bobbin and it rolls under the bench, cant be found and your customer is picking up in two hours...:)

Check what system they use and get 3 different sizes....I do not know the Boss, but thread in bonded Nylon 92 for light work like wallets, fancy belts, then 138 for some heavy belts, chaps and such....207 0r a bit more for lighter holsters and horse gear.....needle size is according to thread...ask Boss people!!

Only my 2 cents....now go and have fun!!

James

Hi,

Just my .02 cents

I tried #92 thread in mine and it was to small. I could not get any bobbin tension. Maybe someone braver or more knowledgeable would bend that little bobbin tension-er but I did not have a spare and did not want to break it.

I just bought another machine for lighter items.