DrGull

Pyramid Spots

I would like to set some Pyarmid spots - the kind with two prongs. I have the pyramid rivet tool, but I don't know if that will help set the spots. Basically, I've never set spots before, do you have to punch the two holes? If that's the case I give up, no way I could ever punch that many holes at just the right spacing, etc. Thanks for any help on this.

I lay the leather flat, use a ruler to mark where the holes should be (2 holes per stud). I make the marks with bright colored gel pens (ink comes off afterwards by rubbing with a wet finger). Then use a sharpened 1/8" flathead screwdriver to make slits for the prongs. Then you bend the prongs in as far as you can using another flathead screwdriver or needlenose pliers.

I would like to set some Pyarmid spots - the kind with two prongs. I have the pyramid rivet tool, but I don't know if that will help set the spots. Basically, I've never set spots before, do you have to punch the two holes? If that's the case I give up, no way I could ever punch that many holes at just the right spacing, etc. Thanks for any help on this.

Ohio Travel Bag sells a slot punch tool pretty cheaply. I think it was under $10, and they do have minimums. I'm attaching a picture as well.

It does have a few issues:

1) The pins are pretty thick. Punches a pretty thick slot - really too thick for smaller spots. I have seen instructions somewhere on how to thin and narrow them. This should make it a lot better.

2) The pins are soft. They usually have to be repositioned every spot or 2, and you do it with finger pressure. I've also done some reading on how to harden metal. The thinning and hardening are on my "to-do" list :innocent:

3) When you put the pins in the closest together slot in the center, they are a bit too wide for the smaller spots. You can put the pins together in 2 slots on either side of center for closer spacing, but then you are punching off-center. Not much you can do about that.

OTB does have minimums, but they MIGHT sell you one as a "sample".. They've been good to me about lowering minimums at times, when necessary.

If you'r ewilling to do these improvements, it's worth it. Especially if you have a lot to place. Until I can make the mods, I just use my dividers and a small lacing punch.

Tom

post-14889-032562800 1345746358_thumb.jp

Tom & Medusa:

Thank you both for your help!

---Todd