Sign in to follow this  
Highlands858

Id Window On A Wallet

I have a law enforcement friend who wants a wallet with a double ID window, one on each side. I'm interested in possibly making something like this for myself as well (not with a double window, just one.)

I'm new to wallets, but I'm trying to learn. I don't like the look of plastic over an ID card on a hand-made custom wallet, but if that's necessary then I'd like to know how to go about getting the plastic and attaching it.

I guess I'm basically asking for ideas of how to achieve the result I want, which is a hand made, hand-stitched wallet made to display an ID without taking it out.

Anyone ever made anything like this? Do you have pictures or tips?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Contact Springfield Leather (see ad banners), or look on their website....and search for a product in 'manmade materials' called Acetate. It's the clear 'window' material used for ID wallets.

Make the window a bit larger than the ID to allow for the material to be somewhat tight at the sides where it's stitched.

That "tight at the sides" may also be what's making it hard to pull the currency out of the bill pocket.

Contact Springfield Leather (see ad banners), or look on their website....and search for a product in 'manmade materials' called Acetate. It's the clear 'window' material used for ID wallets.

Make the window a bit larger than the ID to allow for the material to be somewhat tight at the sides where it's stitched.

That "tight at the sides" may also be what's making it hard to pull the currency out of the bill pocket.

Been making ID Badge holders for some folks here at work, and I've been using some old transparency film I had. But I'm glad to see Springfield has the real thing. Should have figured they'd have stuff like that. Thanks for the reminder.

Glen

Is there a thread/needle size that's best for sewing the acetate and leather together? Seem's like you could go too big pretty easily. Is that not the case?