Sign in to follow this  
Joudodo

Needle Heat

Another question for you sewing experts. What kind of heat can an industrial sewing needle safely hold?

If I sew a couple passes at a medium speed my needle heats up to the point where it's hot to the touch, but it quickly cools back down after a few seconds, then I sew again. I assume as long as keep the heat below a certain point this should be ok?

Edited by Joudodo

They can take alot of heat,I've sewn fast before & when you stop it will burn the thread in two.That's when you know you have to slow down or start lubing the thread.We have rigged up air coolers that blow on the needle & cool them & then there is also coolsew needles that are supposed to run cooler.

HTH

Bob

They can take alot of heat,I've sewn fast before & when you stop it will burn the thread in two.That's when you know you have to slow down or start lubing the thread.We have rigged up air coolers that blow on the needle & cool them & then there is also coolsew needles that are supposed to run cooler.

HTH

Bob

thanks again sewmun!

Getting the needle pretty hot DOES help to melt the bonding on the thread (as in 'bonded nylon').....but so hot that it melts the thread together.....wow.

Far from an expert here but I will be happy to pass along what has helped us. First a buddy of mine works at a sharpening shop so this works out to get things done custom. It depends on what needle and how large but on the bigger stuff he reprofiles the needle at the tip and if the needle is big enough puts a bit of an hour glass profile to it and then a super polish job all in reduce friction and make a nicer looking backside.

I have had smoke coming off of a needle several times with lube on and off the thread and had the thread melt into while sewing. You won't touch a needle like doing that but once !!