Sign in to follow this  
LoneStar

My Shop (Improved!)

Been workin on the shop, I think I can relax and work on some more projects now.

post-33726-017027800 1345769989_thumb.jp

post-33726-047694800 1345769998_thumb.jp

post-33726-066798000 1345770007_thumb.jp

Lovely setup! Looks like you can reach everything from where you sit. I'm in the process of planning my workstation so I can finally clear off the kitchen table, and I hope mine will be as streamlined and organized :)

Lovely setup! Looks like you can reach everything from where you sit. I'm in the process of planning my workstation so I can finally clear off the kitchen table, and I hope mine will be as streamlined and organized :)

Thanks! Working on a handbag now, my first "from scratch" project. Just got all the pieces cut and the design on the leather. Will start carving and tooling tomorrow.

I notice you have your leather stock hanging over a rod. Two things: You probably have light on the leather, either natural and/or artificial. Get some Kraft packaging paper and hang over the leather as a shield. Second: if you wish to have your leather hanging, use spring clamps so you can hang from the edge.

Inside a dark room or closet is very good but not always possible.

ferg

1345770015[/url]' post='261557']

Been workin on the shop, I think I can relax and work on some more projects now.

I notice you have your leather stock hanging over a rod. Two things: You probably have light on the leather, either natural and/or artificial. Get some Kraft packaging paper and hang over the leather as a shield. Second: if you wish to have your leather hanging, use spring clamps so you can hang from the edge.

ferg

Thanks for the reply 50. I don't know why light is bad for leather but I'm going to find out. It stays under lights all day 6 days a week at the leather store. But I will certainly acknowledge your experience and heed your advice. Thanks again.

Leather in the store is sorted through either by the shoppers or employees. Light doesn't affect chrome tanned for the most part. Much of the veg tanned is rolled and on a shelf.

ferg

1346026512[/url]' post='261867']

Thanks for the reply 50. I don't know why light is bad for leather but I'm going to find out. It stays under lights all day 6 days a week at the leather store. But I will certainly acknowledge your experience and heed your advice. Thanks again.

Good point about the light affecting the leather.

At the Tandy near me, they roll up the vegetable-tanned leather (the more expensive pieces, anyway) and wrap them in brown paper. Last time I bought bends, I had an employee unwrap a few of them for me so I could pick out the nicest pieces. red_bandana.gif

I had a cheaper shoulder rolled up and sitting out in the light for a few weeks, and the parts that were exposed turned a darker colour, kind of like a suntan.

Edited by lightingale

Ramblings from a old man : The radio on the table will suffer from the vibrations of pounding on the table . The tool holders will also jump around . I suggest a tool roll .You dont get to show off your tools but its efficient. I would make a wall hanging for the paper towels . Light will indeed affect your hides if its uniform darking it dont matter ,I have put mine out in the sun and got some nice effects with colour changes from the light. Nice to see a comfortable chair thats going to make working long hours pleasant. You will refine this more and more as time goes on ,all the advice given here is by those who have travelled this road before and are short cutting your journey . Fact working leather makes very fine dust gets in small places (IE the radio ) so a safer resting place is advised . My desk is a mess because I am making hundreds of things all the time so there is work in all stages its a assembly line kind of thing . So I envy your efforts and wish maybe I took more time on neatness ,but the only thing that really matters is done projects no wasted material and a payday . Thanks for the peak into your shop . Its nice you took the time to share . Good Luck !

Ramblings from a old man : The radio on the table will suffer from the vibrations of pounding on the table . The tool holders will also jump around . I suggest a tool roll .You dont get to show off your tools but its efficient. I would make a wall hanging for the paper towels . Light will indeed affect your hides if its uniform darking it dont matter ,I have put mine out in the sun and got some nice effects with colour changes from the light. Nice to see a comfortable chair thats going to make working long hours pleasant. You will refine this more and more as time goes on ,all the advice given here is by those who have travelled this road before and are short cutting your journey . Fact working leather makes very fine dust gets in small places (IE the radio ) so a safer resting place is advised . My desk is a mess because I am making hundreds of things all the time so there is work in all stages its a assembly line kind of thing . So I envy your efforts and wish maybe I took more time on neatness ,but the only thing that really matters is done projects no wasted material and a payday . Thanks for the peak into your shop . Its nice you took the time to share . Good Luck !

Thanks Bluesman. The table is sturdy enough and the slab heavy enough that nothing jumps around. If I hung the paper towels on the wall they wouldn't be within arms reach. I have covered my leather stock with brown paper. Not worried about the radio, if dust kills it I'll get another, I like it within arms reach also. That way I can turn the tunes down if the phone rings or for whatever reason. Thanks for your comments and concerns!

ferg

Good call! I never really thought about that. Thanks!

Looks like you have thought this through . I spend countless hours at my desk and chaos is the order of the day . Never able to tell where one project ends and another begins . Right now I am working on 500 small pouches so I have things going in all stages . Drawing ,cutting ,making holes ,finished stuff . Its sun rise to sunset for me with a nap now and then . Thanks for replying and please know I wish many hours of pleasant leather working in your shop . Take a small piece of your tooling leather and leave it in the sun for a day and see what you think . Sometimes that darkening is nice with just a lustre for a top coat. Its not that it changes colour that matters its that unless its layed flat in the light it changes unevenly and sometimes thats a problem . Good luck with your work space !

Thanks Bluesman. The table is sturdy enough and the slab heavy enough that nothing jumps around. If I hung the paper towels on the wall they wouldn't be within arms reach. I have covered my leather stock with brown paper. Not worried about the radio, if dust kills it I'll get another, I like it within arms reach also. That way I can turn the tunes down if the phone rings or for whatever reason. Thanks for your comments and concerns!