Sign in to follow this  
troy

Skiving Again For Rawhide Lace.

Ye I know this is an old subject and been done to boulder dust, but my patients has gone; have tried making my own skiver using all sort of things and failure has loomed like a thunder cloud over all my attempts.

What I am looking for is something small that can skive rawhide and leather lace of 6 to 2mm widths down to amounts of .2mm i.e at present I am cutting red deer rawhide from back to neck where the back is .8mm and the neck is 1mm thick, so I need something that will allow me to skive that excess .2mm off. Not much I know but it does show to my eyes. Any help of such a devise that I can buy would be great. Oh better add that I already have a means to cut lace and edge it mysek, so its just a skiver I need.

cheers

paul

Edited by troy

You have a number of options. You could contact Bruce Johnson or leatherpounder and see if they have any splitters (they both sell them). Buy a Hansen String Cutter, it has features you already have but the splitter works real good. Or you could search ebay.

I would avoid any solution that use razor or utility blades for splitting, they are to flexable to do a good job. You need something solid like the ones in the Osborne or Hansen tools.

I used the least expensive Tandy splitter for close to 30 years until I found an old Osborne #86 on ebay. Thats my 1st choice now but wouldn't hesitate to use the Tandy in a pinch. It just requires a sharp blade and constant sharpening. Check ebay and put in leather splitter and it will give you several options. Brad

Referring to the blades used for a splitter I have seen planer blades that could possibly work. how would these work in a splitter design similar to the Hansen? If not can anyone point me in the right direction of blade choice