Sign in to follow this  
CustomDoug

Diy You Own Pricking Irons ?

I've been searching for left slanting pricking irons (aka "portmanteaus", opposite from normal ones), which is basically impossible to get, and the one's that are mentioned anywhere are over $300 for custom orders. So, I got to thinking... how hard would it be to get a good quality chisel, grind a series of 45 degree slits at specific spots and see if it works? I completely understand that it would take a huge amount of refining before the tips would be consistent. Never the less, it seems kind of do-able. If I gave it a try - could anyone recommend particular metal (of the chisels) and methods for making the cuts (as in.. grinder, dremel, etc.). Thought? General comments? thanks.

BTW, when I say chisel I'm not thinking of the ones with the plastic or wood handles.. but more like a mason's chisel or like the punch chisels. Also, since I'm dreamin' here and willing to make it myself... I wouldn't mind it being capable of piercing completely through the leather - like the strap punches are supposed to be able to do.

It's a good idea & I've made some in that way but to get all the teeth the right size & spacing will be a challenge ! Maybe U could find some one to cut the teeth with a laser & all U would have to do would be to sharpen them & re temper them . Don't forget U will have to have some with 3 teeth etc. etc. . Why don't U order your pricking irons from Vergez-Blancard ² save yourself a lot of hassle ?

It's a good idea & I've made some in that way but to get all the teeth the right size & spacing will be a challenge ! Maybe U could find some one to cut the teeth with a laser & all U would have to do would be to sharpen them & re temper them . Don't forget U will have to have some with 3 teeth etc. etc. . Why don't U order your pricking irons from Vergez-Blancard ² save yourself a lot of hassle ?

I can't find any mention of left facing teeth angles on the Vergez-Blanchard website. Of course I'm finding the long list of pricking irons but none are described as being lefties. I am translating with an internet translator btw. Do you have a particular term I should use in the search area, to find them? Other than that, I was considering the price too. I wonder if a machine-shop could whip a couple of these up in a rough form and I could sharpen them?

Hi I bought a 8/1" portmanteau stitch marker last year from Dixon Tools in Walsall Uk, I wouldn't have thought their price would add up to $300 as mine was about the £50- £60 area, their tools are some of the best I have used. I think they have been on this forum in the past.

Hi I bought a 8/1" portmanteau stitch marker last year from Dixon Tools in Walsall Uk, I wouldn't have thought their price would add up to $300 as mine was about the £50- £60 area, their tools are some of the best I have used. I think they have been on this forum in the past.

I emailed them several days ago and never got a reply. I figured they didn't want to mess with the special order hassle. I will try again though. Thank you.