yehagirl

Rifle Case Lining - What To Use?

I am going to make a rifle case out of fabric and want to know what is the best liner to use? Flannel? Quilted fabric?

I plan on using Cotton Duck on the outside. Should I put some kind of padding between the duck and inside liner?

Where is the best place to get zippers and webbing?

THank you for your help!

G

Weaver or OTB for the zippers. They make a polyester felt (oxymoron) that Weaver and others sell by the yard. It gives the scabbard a lot more strength than duck alone. You could use a piece of leather in between, flannel for the inside. Polyfill (like for quilting) could also be used if you have enough rigidity in the duck. There are many ways to go.

Art

The best favor you can do for your gun loving friend is do a canvas in, canvas out gun bag, . . . if you want to stiffen it, . . . sew a layer of quilt batting in between.

OR, . . . if you want it really stiff, . . . go to Tandy's and ask for their "bag stiffener", which is used for that very purpose on hand bags.

Get your zipper there too. You can buy just the exact length you need, . . . plus the slide piece, . . . much cheaper usually than buying a complete zipper some where else.

Flannel is a NO-NO for me and my guns. Any oil on the outside of the gun will instantly transfer to the flannel, . . . can make an oily stain all the way through if there is enough oil, plus that oil stain inside will attract dust, grit, sand, dirt, dead bugs, and assorted other trash you do not want associated with a gun.

Canvas makes a good liner, denim (think blue jeans) material is good, and JoAnn's sells some really nice vinlys that would make good interiors for a gun bag.

Whatever you use, . . . make sure it is a lint free type material also.

May God bless,

Dwight

Can't remember the exact name at the moment, but there was acouple that made gun storage socks out of a gray feltish like material. It was treated to prevent rust, and was soft enough for collector guns. They have one customer who is a doctor who was out duck hunting when he got an emergency call. He tossed his wet shotgun into the sock, and went to the hospital. With all that was going on he forgot about the wet shotgun until months later. Nervously he pulled the shotgun out of the sock, and was amazed that there was no rusting at all. They would sell the material for do it yourself projects like this. I used to see them at all of the local gun shows back home outside the Bay area of N.CA

A lot will depend on if they plan on storing the gun in the case, or just use it for transporting. Moisture, and dirt will need to be delt with in either case.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR