This one did not seem to require as much boning in because of the cut away design.

Overall I was pleased with the results. It probably could have been a little looser, it was quite a bit of work to get it to fit well. And my pattern was flawed in that the rear of the guardshiled overlapped with the stitchline. there was a little overlapping. I thought I was putting in a little more cant than I did (that seems to be hard to judge).

Again for the 2nd holster I am well pleased as it is better than the first. Any pointers?

Brent

post-23581-0-49752300-1349050763_thumb.jpost-23581-0-96802300-1349050780_thumb.jpost-23581-0-59808800-1349050792_thumb.j

Edited by cleanview

Good job for a second one. You really should cover the trigger so its not exposed like it is. There is a danger of the trigger being tripped with it exposed like that. Id also shorted the distance between the two slots. You have way too much leather on the side for an avenger style.

post-22515-0-99549000-1349068153_thumb.j

post-22515-0-92447200-1349068236_thumb.j

Here is an example of a shorter distance between the slots. It still provides a good pull against the belt.

Other than that its a good start on a great hobby. well done.

It is a action pistol holster and it is advantageous to expose a little more.

BUT I see what you mean. the trigger is exposed. I did not even notice. thank you.

Well guy, from what I can see (your pics are pretty dark) your workmanship is looking pretty good. That 'ear' out there is larger than necessary - remember, it's out there only to provide a spot for the belt loop, and one of the ideas of this style of holster is for compactness. I never say anything about tooling because I quit doing that sort of thing probably about the time you were still playing on the monkey-bars at school. I like seeing that all of your stitching seems to flow with the shape of the rig -- no sharp corners around the trigger guard, etc. BUT, that top corner on the ear should have been rounded some to preclude fraying -- 'cause you'll get some right there, and sharp corners on leatherwork like this is a no-no for just that reason. NOW, overall I think it's going to prove to be one damned fast rig for steel challenge work or the like. Keep it up, and I think you have enough of the trigger covered for the kind of work you made this for -- but again, that's just the opinion of a grumpy old man. Here's a pic of the last avenger style that I did. There's a lot more stitching in mine, but it's fully lned. Mike

004a.jpg

Edited by katsass

Thanks a lot for the comments.

Yes I thought that ear could have been a little smaller as well. did not think about rounding the corner off, that would not have crossed my mind, which is why I appreciate this forumn so much. I have a page of hand written notes of things I will do different in the future. When a round is chambered the trigger is covered. In the picture the gun has been clearedand the trigger is more to the rear.

Thanks again. The next one will be for my 1911 which is the main gun I play with.

I do this as a hobby but have had some one ask me to make them one. They want a pancake style for a commander 1911. this person grew up with my kids so I told him 30 bucks since I was still practicing. I figure it is about 12 bucks worth of leather involved.

thanks

Brent

I think it looks pretty good for your 2nd, fastest way to learn is build it and try it then change what needs to be changed on the next. My 2nd attempt at a Bruce Nelson style holster.

286wwwk.jpg

2zdrqs1.jpg

I'm starting to get the itch to try one of these. That could be trouble. I have too much going on right now but it's on my short list of things to try.