Double post...sorry...

post-35265-0-74464300-1349128027_thumb.j

Edited by Dogface

Really nice work, Dogface..

Imagine Yul Brynner, strutting down main street in that.. ;)

What's the colouring you've used..is it dye?

Regards

Phil

Ha....that's an image that's hard to imagine ;)

The color is Feibing Pro Oil dye in Royal Blue but it's not great quality dye...at least this bottle isn't. When I went to wet form the holsters to her set of Rugers the dye came off in the water...not all, of course, but so much I had to redye them when dry. Never had that problem with any other Feibing dye. My wife tried it all on last nite and the dye rubbed off on her hands too. I'll buff them heavily and see if that helps.

Any other suggestions are surely welcome...lotta work to have this kind thing happen.

Mark

Never had that problem with any other Feibing dye. My wife tried it all on last nite and the dye rubbed off on her hands too. I'll buff them heavily and see if that helps.

Any other suggestions are surely welcome...lotta work to have this kind thing happen.

Mark

LOL.. Mark..I'm not sure if buffing your wife's hands will help, but what the hey...give it a go.. You never know.. :)

I can't help with dye advice, I'm afraid Mark..but I'm sure some others will be able to give some sound advice on the subject..

At present, I'm doing my fruit in, trying to work out what to order, as far as dyes, oil, needles, thread, etc, etc..lol

It seems the list is endless and all I want to do is make something thats useful.. :)

I'll be muttering Feibing's Oil Dye in my sleep soon.!! ;)

Regards

Phil

Phil...

Good post...great sense of humor.. Some others have chimed in and just said I need to really buff out the pieces with some cloth or other...towel, piece of denim..what ever. Never had this problem before but...the dye is old, the leather is old too but still seems/looks new. I dunno but will likely write to Feibing to see what they can offer. Just FYI, I'm still ordering things I need and used to have but can't find :) I always have a list. Some of my friends and fellow shooters like my work but no one wants to pay for it...grrrrr

It's usually very helpful to wipe down the surface of the leather before dyeing it. I usually use plain ol' 90% alcohol and a clean washcloth. All you're doing is removing all the gunk that has gathered on the surface. The reason for doing this is that before you got the leather (and perhaps after) there's no telling who put grimy or sweaty hands on it. Those sweaty hands leave a residue that can act like a mild resist. You also don't know what may have been laid on it, or how much dust has settled on it.....anything that CAN clog up the pores...probably will.

If you have any the leather left, give it a wipe down before the next application of dye.

If you are sure it's in the dye, shake well.....and hold the bottle while you're shaking. You can add a bit of high % isopropyl alcohol to help dissolve any dye particles that have fallen out of solution.

I have some OLD dyes that were in my father's kit (35+ years) and there was nothing but pigment left in the bottles. All the alcohol evaporated out over time, and all I needed to do was add the isopropyl to it, swirl, shake, and let sit to make sure it was all dissolved and then it was good to go.

Mike,

Thankyou for that in depth reply. All good advice. When I re-dyed the holsters I really shook up the bottle of blue dye first thinking exactly like you said. When they dried there was no dye particles coming off on the buffing towel... guess that was the problem. I'll also probably add some alcohol too. Good call. ;)