dsolsbery

Flesh Side Fuzzies

After reading several responses on how to smooth the flesh side of a piece of leather, I tried sanding a piece of Tandy leather. Well.....the more I sanded the hairer it got until I had to quit because that piece of leather started looking like "Cousin It." Is this because it's Tandy leather?

Take a stiff wooden dowl and some Gum Trag and smooth the flesh side with the dowl and and light coat of gum trag. Like you are burnishing it but it wont change color. It will lay down and slick up really well. But better leather is the way to go if you can. Not something I can always afford to do..

Michael

All good responses above, I'll add that if a piece is pretty "Hairy" you can sand in one direction (with the grain) and it will smooth out. Sometimes when hand sanding if you go back and forth, it just keeps raising the "Nap" on every other stroke. It can be slicked as said above, another way to slick it is with a glass burnisher and some gum tragacanth or water depending on how well you want it burnished. Better leather is the best solution, Hemann Oak flesh side is very smooth to start with.

Chief

Much obliged for the answers. I'll try them then go with the H O from now on.

Ditto what Chief says. I ended up with a full side of 12/14oz stuff from a friend that gave up on leather work long ago. It had been rolled up and stashed in the overhead of his garage for over 10 years. It was (is) pretty rough on the flesh side. When I need a bit of heavy leather I slick that flesh side up on a 4" wide, table mounted belt sander with a fine grit belt. Back the leather up with a piece of flat wood and hit it for a short time on the belt and I have a clean, smooth piece to work with. As said, you must go with the grain. Mike

You can also wet it and then scrape it with a skiver, that usually evens everything out.