I'm making a gun belt, my first, two pieces of 8/9 glued flesh to flesh and sewn. Tooled before they are joined. I know how to handle the chape end but do I skive the inside layer down for the billet end before the holes, or take it full size all the way to the end of the billet?

Edited by mlapaglia

Any one got an idea? Someone has to be making gun belts. Maybe I wasnt clear. The end with the holes on the belt. do you take it double layer to the end or stop the inner layer before the holes start?

Two layers all the way on the end. I stop the bottom layer early at the buckle end so after folding there are two layers full length.

Dan

I also take mine all the way to the end full thickness. I think its just personal preference but I would bet most take it to the end full thickness but I can see the benefits in skiving it down.

FWIW from the grumpy old guy; I use a single layer of 12/14oz skirting leather, line it with 2/3oz and leave the two ends at the 12/14oz weight. I do skive the buckle area. and hand stitch all ov it except the fold for the buckle. A pic.or four. Mike

003-11.jpg

013.jpg

007-7.jpg

009.jpg

Edited by katsass

I would leave the billet end no thicker than about 10 oz finished. If it is much thicker it may be difficult to get the tip through the keeper once it is buckled. I like it lined all the way to the tip of the billet end but I would run the liner piece through a splitter on the billet end.

No offense Katsaas, you have a great looking product.

I would leave the billet end no thicker than about 10 oz finished. If it is much thicker it may be difficult to get the tip through the keeper once it is buckled. I like it lined all the way to the tip of the billet end but I would run the liner piece through a splitter on the billet end.

No offense Katsaas, you have a great looking product.

NoName, thanks for the compliment, and no offence taken. There's usually more than one way of doing things, and I'll be damned if I'd tell someone that what he's doing aint right. Mike

Edited by katsass