immiketoo

My First Avenger Style Holster

I made the pattern myself and everything is hand stitched. It was supposed to be a righty cross draw but messed up and it ended up a lefty cross draw. Since I will be re-making it, I'm also going to adjust the belt loop holes a bit.

I finished it with atom wax and I learned a lot about pattern making and that I really want a sewing machine!

Also, its for a 4 inch 1911 not the 5 inch thats stuck in it now.

2388DBE2-0D70-4883-A773-B7C4C03A2055-6375-00000299922B6DF3_zps382ca872.jpg

Edited by immiketoo

Although I can't say much about the design of the holster and how it'll work, Mike, I do like the fact that you designed and made it yourself. :)

You know, now, to flip your pattern before cutting for a righty and also how much leather to allow for wrapping around a gun and still leaving room for belt slots.. (I'm assuming that was a concern..lol)

Personally, I like the fact that it's hand stitched, but I can see why a machine would be handy, if volume was a big worry.

I'm sure other people, more qualified in holsters will be able to give you hints and tips for the next one, but good work and a good learning process too..

Regards

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I am always open to suggestions and advice to improve. And you're right. Now I know to l,ook for the proper side before I start cutting!

Mike, you done good. The stitching looks pretty damned even, the design is your own and well thought out (good grip clearance, mag release clear and safety lever clear) you did a nice job on edging and burnishing, the one corner is well rounded, and the belt slot in close in - - nothing at all to bitch about. OH, and since it (i believe) it was to be right-handed, and you wouldn't want something unusable for yourself just hanging around, there are a few of us south-paws on here that would graciously accept it - - just to get it out of your way. By the way - we've ALL done the same thing at one time or another. Mike

Thanks Mike. I appreciate you comments! The overall holster is ok but I'm glad it needed to be re-done. I tweaked a few things on the next one and of course it turned out better. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that's transposed a holster. My dad said he wanted both holsters, but I'm not sure why. If he doesn't want it, I would be happy to to donate to a former brother in blue. Tan in my case actually..

Either way, here is the correct side version of the holster that is almost finished. I just need to stitch up the side and punch and finish the hole and its done!

9F6677AD-D19B-4635-8074-60813E677DB0-7463-0000030B5BF73865_zpseeaa9f3d.jpgB33250D0-F0D5-4486-A13E-D9164D3516FE-7463-0000031080336355_zps6b55d88e.jpg

EB8F2034-EB36-4FF4-93E0-9089657AE959-7463-000003107B1F6533_zps4464b0e5.jpg

C4208EB4-DB9C-45A2-A212-A01ED7C284AB-7463-00000310731CACE9_zps32296477.jpg

Edited by immiketoo

Well Mike, maybe your dad has decided to become a two gun man LOL. Out here the blue uniformed guys are almost a hundred miles away, It's tan pants or green pants - - wore them both. I have an outlet for my "mirror image" mistakes - few though they have been, If it was for a gun I didn't posses, it went to a long-time friend (over 50 years) and another retiree for the green pants crowd. I think that in almost 50 years, he's gotten two holsters for different 1911s, and one for a K-Frame S&W. Mike

Hey Mike, if he has added another 1911, he's been holding out on me, and I will have a chat with him about that! As for the uniforms, we have blues everywhere and we are the anomaly. I don't mind though. It's distinctive and most of the time, it looks better IMO. I am going to try and minimize the mistakes, but as you say, there's bound to be someone who can use them!

Mike

Mike....I too just made my first 'Avenger' style holster the other day. I like the tooling on yours and I want to learn how to do that. Nice work!

DSCN3820_zpsf7aa83b7.jpg

Thanks Ran, my holster will be migrating to Wisconsin this afternoon! I like the color of yours and the smaller reinforcement piece. My next one will be similar to that I think. As for the tooling, just try one. I won't say it's easy, but it is definitely rewarding and people seem to like it.

Mike...I honestly don't know where to start with the tooling. I suppose I'll need to purchase more stamping tools. How do you get the pattern?? Here's my first basketweave stamp job.. (I made it for a 'south paw' buddy of mine in NC)

DSCN3832_zps63e8f777.jpg

Ran

do you have a local Tandy store if so see if they have Saturday

leather working classes. The local TLF has free leatherworking

classes every Saturday Morning at 9:30. You can also go to youtube

and type in leather working or leather crafts and it will have tutorials

how to tool leather.

It is really not all that hard just time consuming.

there will be a learning curve with the swivel knife.

Thanks St8line....Here in the Northwoods of WI no such Leather Store. I was at a Tandy in the Milwaukee area last week, but that's 250 miles south of me. Guess I'll keep watching YouTube vids. Watching videos fits my personality better anyways. That's how I learned what I know so far.

Ran, there is a process for tooling, and most of what I've found online doesn't really show much, so I'll describe my process for you. First, I choose a pattern based on the design that I want. Sometimes it's a custom drawn design, other times I copy something just for the practice. Once I have a design ready, I copy it to the leather with a modeling tool. Then I cut the pattern with a swivel knife. Then it's beveling, shading, backgrounding and decorative cuts. Tandy has some basic videos you can watch by clicking this link:

http://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/t-instructional-videos.aspx

Also, I found this video and it's pretty good.

Here's something I did last night from a Chan Geer pattern book as a practice exercise.

F72A1EB5-7DE8-4802-AE13-8408E5166382-8662-0000045ACA196414_zpsa74f8862.jpg

66D4318C-A942-4A00-9837-09DC32A7F2EB-8662-0000045AD027CAEE_zpsa097b6f9.jpg

DAE87C71-DF55-4B4F-991F-7D4B3C3835DD-8662-0000045AD8786CCA_zpsef2de0fc.jpg

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the referrals. So, after creating and doing the tooling, you then 'painted' the floral pattern? I assume using tiny brushes?? Very nice, BTW..:).

You're welcome! It's tough to get started all by yourself, especially if you aren't familiar with the basics. I used my airbrush to do the colors, then I antiqued the whole thing. Last, I buffed it with sheep's wool. I do have a variety of small brushes for detail work as well, like the flower centers, and for other techniques like dry brushing. If you can't get your hands on patterns, pick a design you like and carve that. The process is the same. Here are a few holsters I have done.

Alas, I have only been doing this for two months, so I am by no means an expert, but I am recently familiar with your dilemma, so take my advice with a grain of salt :)

Mike

900CE51E-8174-4FDE-995F-EDC1B7EB694D-1721-000001FFBE7F3C7A_zpse701379c.jpg

19F3D894-F01E-45B6-AD1D-1B63E0E60F1A-8662-0000045E36CEB86D_zps812be757.jpg

BTW, did you make the grips for your 1911? They are amazing! What kind of wood is that?

Thanks Mike. Yes, I make pistol grips. I've been a cabinet-making, furniture builder, woodworker for a very long time. The leather work is just a natural progression for me as well as a distraction from woodworking for a while. I make grips out of all sorts of wood. The ones on that 1911 Officers are made from stabilized spalted Taramind. Its a wood that I believe is native to southest Asia..

I have had an interest in woodworking for years and I have just never been brave enough to start, probably due to the expense, and space. My dad had a wood shop and it took up a lot of space in the basement. I think I need a set of grips like that! I have a new 1911 coming, and I think those would look great. Do you sell them? Horse trade? Let me know.

Mike

Yes Mike, I've sent grips all over the Country. Depending of the species of wood and whether its been stabilized, I sell 1911 grips for anywhere from $45 to $80 shipped. I have some beautiful stabilized Box Elder Burl in both Officers and fullsize 1911 in stock right now. I also have some curly Walnut and Curly Maple.

IMG_3788_zps78b998b6.jpg

IMG_3792_zps13097564.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

I have several others too, but this gives you an idea. I can also cut them for a magwell and/or cover the MSH post, OR cut the relief per traditional grips.

Oh....and I make those pistol stands too. PM me if you're interested. I don't want to break any rules on this forum..

Edited by Ran

Ran.. I don't own a gun, cos we're not allowed to play with them much, but wow.. :jawdropper: :jawdropper: :spoton: those grips are pretty..

Regards

Phil

Thanks for the kind remarks, Phil!