Just wanted to get the professional opinion of you all.

I have a fairly small budget ($400) and I'm looking for a machine to do wallets, etc.

Does anyone know anything about the Tuffsew machines for sale on ebay? Are they complete rubbish?

here's the link to one http://www.ebay.com/itm/INDUSTRIAL-WALKING-FOOT-HEAVY-DUTY-SEWING-MACHINE-UPHOLSTERY-LEATHER-COMMERCIAL-/321008647674?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item4abd9b3dfa

any input or advice - or if you know of how I can better spend the 400, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Seth

I got an Singer 111 for 250 and not to long agao a nice Singer 211 for 375 shipping and all....these machines will sew circles arround the Techsew scappy pappy machine!!

Pfaff's are real workers too....Consews are available for under 500....

just need to look, call some folks and keep ur ears open.....talk to Toledo Bob....he may have something or knows where to look.

When u buy, take somebodywho knows a bit about sewing machines with u and try some material out u are working with...

Ohhhh, and stay away from e-bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aloha

James

Awesome awesome. Thank you so much for your advice guys.

One last quick quesiton - I don't know if it's because of the multitude of clothing companies out here, but those models and walking foot sewing machines go for a fortune in Los Angeles. Any recommendations on websites to pick one up?

No, no idea on the website, but keep in mind that a machine that came out of a textile (clothing) factory is likely to be set up to run FAST. For leather you don't want 3000 spi. Our dealers on this site modify the machines, through ratio reduction pulleys, internal gearing, timing...etc., to slow the machines down so that they have enough torque at slow speeds to sew through leather.

Seth,

I have a Consew CP206 that is very capable of sewing items like wallets. The reason I bought this particular machine is it is portable and the price was right since it was used $250! You can pick up a brand new one for

around $350 at several locatiions I have seen on line. You don't have to have a dedicated area to sew in, set it up wherever you want and go to work.

I am not a pro like some of the folks that post here but I can at least sew with this machine.

Just my 2 cents.

Ed