Talltales08

A Question Of Time

Hi, I was wondering if anyones sole income came from their leather work? Do you make a select few items that you know you can produce fairly quickly? How much time in a 24 hour day do you spend working on your items?

Thanks

It's not my sole income. I'm glad because I'd starve. However, I spend a lot of time at my bench when I work on a project. Considering I'm learning, I expect the time it takes will go down with more experience.

I think it would be difficult to for leather to be the ONLY source of income unless you were in a full time shop....like Lobo's holster business, or perhaps a saddle shop.

Since I'm not an actual business, I don't have any production lines....several 'standard models', but 85-90% of my work is custom orders (including the one I should be working on right now). I have variable times at the work bench, depending on how many orders I have.

I do it pretty much full time, at least 40-50 hours a week. However, it is not my sole income, I am Retired from the Army, Retired from Industry, Disabled Veteran and on Social Security so I don't have to do it and I don't have to make money at it. I sell items to pay for the hobby, I use the profits to buy more leather, tools, materials, etc.

If I depended on leather as my only source of income I would be on welfare. There isn't that much call for leather work in the east (southwest Georgia), no saddle making, harness or tack repair, etc.

Chief

I have my first class in leather working in the morning, bought a starter kit last week but still haven't done anything other than look it over. Like most, I'm interested in the craft/art first. If somewhere down the line I can make a buck off of it, so much the better.

Some time ago, I got into Pyrograpghy, or woodburning. I had a pretty good thing going with it on Ebay till I just got tired of it. It was very time consuming and hard on my hands to hold that hot burning tool for hours at a time. The results were well worth the time invested. Sorry to say, that was several computers ago and no pictures servived.

I do have some pictures of a part of a table I was burning that was never completed...hope to have those posted soon.

If you happen to want to 'feel the burn' again, pyrography on leather can be quite stunning....especially if you've got the skill to vary the darkness/deepness of the burn.

I get the itch from time to time to get back into it. It's a fairly cheap craft to get into if you have a good craft shop near by. I think even at today's prices you can get started for around $50 bucks. The burners rarely go bad and you don't need all the tips they have. In fact, I used the shader tip for everything, and found that the thinner the the "blade" the better I liked it.

The only thing I hated about it was transfering the pattern onto the wood.

I've posted a few of the pics of the pyro work I did on wood in the gallery. The thing I did on Ebay was Tarot boxs which at the time (around 2000) did very well.