shtoink

Acanthus Drawings

So, I was following a link provided by TwinOaks in a similar thread started by another member who was asking about Acanthus and what it looked like. I started expanding the search and looking around for interesting images that might work on leather and I found pretty amazing results.

First, I must say that these are certainly not my own, I am not affiliated with them in any way, and all rights belong to their respective parties.

This first one was a pair of pages that had some line drawings for products a company called Biltmore Estate Industries and range from around 1901 to 1937. Some of the images aren't so interesting, but there are some gems in there. The first link is a page specific to some bellows that were offered and the second link seems to be a listing of all the line drawings they have listed on the very same site. Some repeats, but no biggie.

Link One and Link Two

The other one was jaw dropping for me. Others may respond differently, however, the detail and composition are extremely well done. There are a series of six works done by the artist Alexis Peyrotte in 1740. They currently are residing in the Smithsonian's storage facility.

Link

I thought that these were very good images that might be easily adaptable to leather or inspirational for others to possibly spark some ideas. Either way, I felt these were too good not to share. I hope you find as much enjoyment from them as I have.

I also ran across a book from 1886, which means that it's out of copyright and is also freely available for your viewing pleasure. The book is "Guide for Drawing the Acanthus, and Every Description of Ornamental Foliage" by James Page. Our friends over that Internet Archive have generously provided links for multiple file formats so you can view it on your computer or favorite eBook reader.

Thanks so much shtoink, Cheryl

Google books also had a free book on drawing acanthus. I have read it and it is pretty good.

Google books also had a free book on drawing acanthus. I have read it and it is pretty good.

If you can still locate a link for it, would you mind posting it?

I was the one who asked the original question. Shtoink, I don't know which link you are referring to that started your search but the book you found is great!

Thanks! :thumbsup: