copbadge

Singer 153W102

I have a Singer 153W102 that I purchased about a week ago and it seems to be a real work horse with a SewPro 500GR servo motor that I bought from Toledo at the Wiz's recommendation.

The only thing missing is a reverse.

Is there any way to add a reverse feature to the machine?

Use the Poor Man's Reverse: spin the work around 180 degrees to lock the beginning and ending stitches. That's what I did when I owned a 153.

Thanks, Wiz. That's what I am doing, but I sure would like to be able to add one of those swing-away roller guides like you showde us a picture of on one of your posts.

You have been a lot of help to me (and all others on this forum) an I greatly appreciate it.

Why not a drop dow roller guide, thats no problem to attach. I think it will be easier to buy an other machine than build in reverse, less expensive anyway. I cannot say for sure since I only know this model from pictures, It looks like a big job to me.

I have a Singer 153W102 ....

Is there any way to add a reverse feature to the machine?

A Consew 227R is the closest to your machine with reverse, it's based on your machine.. I don't think you'll find anyone that'll tell you the reverse parts will fit, because more than likely it's never been tried. And they may not work, but I suspect they would. It'd be a risky and expensive experiment though. I always wonder why Singer didn't eventually make any of their popular workhorse machines with reverse - they could have, the Asian clones companies prove it was a viable endeavor.

Singer designed the 153 series for factory work. I still use several of them for hemming cuffs on jackets. In the factory, especially on a cuff where the stitch would be next to the skin, we sew around the cuff and simply overlap where we started by about 6-8 stitches. There's no need to backtack, it would slow down the operation. The overlapping tie-in secures the stitch. There's also a modified backtack, (though it doesn't lend itself to leather) where upon reaching the end of a seam, you simply lift the foot slightly, pull back the work about 5 stitiches and sew over the end again. People that do this in production all day long do it faster than a manual backtack. Doing this on leather leaves an open loop of thread that would be unsightly. If there's a stress point, we simply use an automatic bartack machine and do all the stress points on the jacket or pant at one time near the end of the production process. I do have some 211's with a backtack lever, though there weren't very many of them made. I'll see if I can find them on my inventory list. (we have 600 machines). We assemble as much as we can in the factory with chainstitch machines to eliminate bobbin changes and bartack where needed with an automatic. On our tactical gear, we bartack almost all the seams with an automatic. Our workhorse lockstitch machines are Juki 5410's. They are a 211 clone with compound feed. They use an AC servo motor with a programmable console for backtacking and many other features. Underbed trimmers, auto foot lifts, positioners etc.

Regards, Eric

I have 10 Singer 211G157's that have a factory reverse feed. These are pretty scarce.

Regards, Eric