Is the edge of the loop on this Karla Van Horne holster the result of using an edge creaser do you think, or some other technique? The edges on it, and the holster itself practically look as rounded as upholstry piping. I can never seem to achieve that kind of radius on the edges, and I'd like to.

http://www.purdygear.com/images/Holsters/Modern%20Holsters/Brill%201911%20Holster%201000.jpg

Jake

Beader blade / beading tool.

It's a parallel blade with a convex center . Very simply, you case and cut and have the 'bead' in your wake. For the edge, you hang one side of the beader blade over the edge and use it as a guide. Then if you want the second line, you use the track of the first pass as the 'edge guide' for your second pass. You can do the same thing 'manually' if you have a good modeling spoon, you just need to cut two lines. Marlon (Rawhide) put together this .pdf on how to do it: http://leatherworker.net/beaderblade.pdf

If you have some very small pulleys (remember the ones from Erector Sets?) you could use that, and I've done a close copy using a screen tool (wheel on each end, one convex, one concave)....but I had to go back over the lines again.

You can also do this with creasers. The larger size creasers like the CS Osborne "layer creasers" or Gomph's equivalent "round edge creasers" will do the edge bead. The next one can be done with a push beader or beader blade. For that deep effect on the inside bead, I have used a edge creaser and followed the track from the first pass in both directions.

Thanks guys. Looks like I get to buy some more tools!

Jake

Edited by SooperJake

You can also do this with creasers. The larger size creasers like the CS Osborne "layer creasers" or Gomph's equivalent "round edge creasers" will do the edge bead. The next one can be done with a push beader or beader blade. For that deep effect on the inside bead, I have used a edge creaser and followed the track from the first pass in both directions.

Bruce, which item numbers on your website are "round edge creasers" or "layer creasers"?

Bruce, which item numbers on your website are "round edge creasers" or "layer creasers"?

Jake, I have a section of them on the single line creaser page. They start at about half way down the page. Here is a link to the page - Large/Layer Single Line Creasers .

you can also use wing dividers and a modeling tool .

you can also use wing dividers and a modeling tool .

And get lines as clean as the aforementioned holster?

And get lines as clean as the aforementioned holster?

I tried it last night, and it is possible..however, my modeling spoon really wanted to slip...i had to go real slow and light pressure, repeated passes...i ran an edger on the outside, then cut in my two lines, then ran the spoon on the shelf of the cuts...it turned out pretty good, but nowhere near as nice as the link you posted...practice would make it better, but i still thing better tools are needed...