naomjp05

Problem With Adler 30-70

I have acquired an Adler 30-70 and am trying to get it working. I am having problems getting the upper thread to catch the bobbin thread. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you,

Natalie

Hello,

Are you sure your sure your using the correct needle? it should be 21/8" long.

Bob

Hello,

Are you sure your sure your using the correct needle? it should be 21/8" long.

Bob

I used type 332-LG needles when I operated an Adler 30-70. They are considerably longer than standard industrial needles. If Bob says they are 2 1/8 inches long, I believe him (he probably has a pack of them in his office). My Singer patcher uses the same length needle as the type 135x16, which is just shy of 1 3/4 inches long. If your needles are closer to 1 3/4 than 2+ inches, they are the wrong ones for the 30-70.

I'm currently using 332 LG (120/19) which measured 2 1/8" with # 69 thread in the top and bobbin.

Thanks,

Natalie

I'm currently using 332 LG (120/19) which measured 2 1/8" with # 69 thread in the top and bobbin.

Thanks,

Natalie

This is very thin thread for a 30-70. Everything needs to be tweaked if you previously set it up with #138 thread. Start by moving the needle mount to the right. Loosen the upper screw in the oblong cutout and push the needle mount to the right, then tighten the set screw. This places the needle closer to the hook.

Next, back off the forced lift setting, inside the left end of the trapeze. Loosen the thumb screw, move it down, from Dick (thick) to Dorf (thin), then tighten it in the lower position. Try some stitching.

If you have any skipped stitches, look at the leather as the needle ascends. Is the leather lifting, or puckering under the foot? If so, increase the pressure spring thumb nut pressure.

Your combination of a #18 needle and #69 thread is as good as it gets with 332LG needles. But, leather point LR needles work better than rounds and Schmetz needles work better than GB or Organ.

Make sure that the foot has enough lift to allow a full-length stitch to form, at 5/inch setting on the sliding stitch regulator puck.

When you load the bobbin into the case, make sure the thread is pulled through the tension spring and that it has enough tension to hold back the thread a bit. Then, feed it though the tiny hole, then through the hole in the center post of the bobbin case. This affects the stitching considerably.

Finally, there is a paddle shaped spring inside the needle bar, just over the needle mounting bracket. Shine a flashlight on the spring and see if it is still making good contact with the flat area on the inside, where the thread passes on its way down to the needle. This is the check spring, and will cause skipped stitches if irt is broken, twisted, or bent away from the thread at the paddle end.

Hi,

The Adler 30-70 is the new type with a square head and a long arm. It should use the 332 LLG, (the subclass -10 and -50 should use the 332L, according to the manual).

The thread size you using should not be any problem, thats the same as Nm TKT 40 who is a normal thread size for this machine. With the foot pointing forward against you, the thread should go true the needle on the left side (the side with the long grove).

If it is threaded right top and bobbin and still do not pick up the thread is a timing issue. You might try to thread the bobbin thread true the needle plate your self (first time after you have changed the bobbin). Sometimes the machine will not pick it up, However, it still might sew well.

If you need a manual for it send me a PM with your email (personal message true my profile) and I can send you the manual in a pdf.

Good luck.

Edited by Trox

Thanks guys for your help. I have tried all of your suggestions and have not gotten it to work. It is now breaking the top thread. I am going to check the timing the next time I get a chance to mess with it. I really appreciate that you all took the time to help a newbie. I had gotten some misinformation in my researching, I thought that 69 thread was the biggest thread it would handle.

Natalie

P.S. Thanks Trox but I found the manual on Adler's website.