Vianeth

Vegan Leather ?

I've had a couple people ask me if I could make armor (not real armor, just for costumes) out of vegan leather. I'm not sure if there is vegan stuff outside of drapeable garment leather, but I would need something somewhat stiff to attach straps and buckles to. Is there a vegan leather that is similar to vegetable tanned leather, that can by dyed and tooled? It would have to be fake and not come from a cow. I'm not familiar with vegan leather at all!

Plastic maybe?? Isn't that taking vegan to the extreme though? I mean even plastic is made from oil byproducts......which was originally an animal form at one time. Just saying!!

Vegan leathers include:

Vegetan: This is a microfibre material that is specifically designed and used as an animal-friendly leather substitute.

Lorica: This material is made out of several different microfibers. Sidi, an Italian motorcycle company uses it a lot.

Birko-Flor: This is what eco-icon Birkenstock uses. It’s made out of acrylic and polyamide felt fibres. There are two kinds — the kind you find on normal Birks and a kind that looks like pleather.

Birkibuc: Another Birkenstock baby. It’s made out of the same stuff, but looks and feels like nubuck leather.

PVC: Finally, a term you should be familiar with! Good for animals. Not so good for environment.

Kydex: This is an acrylic-PVC alloy. It's produced by Kleerdex, a manufacturing company.

Edited by Beaverslayer

Siegals was selling natural death hides a while back. Don't know if any of it is still around. There is a way long thread on here about it a couple years ago.

Aaron

search vegan in the forums, there have been a couple of threads on this.