Sign in to follow this  
drof99

Template?

So on another post I started some of the members are talking about a template. I only build holster and such for myself and a couple close friends from time to time. I would like to obtain more consistant results and better quality. I know this comes with more practice and patience. Currently I do not make any templates. I just start forming leather around the particular firearm I'm working on. What/how do you guys do to make your templates? Do you cut the shape of the holster out and then form? I just recently obtained a Kimber from their custom shop and this deserves a nice one to call home! Thanks again for the help gents.

If you have not gone to Adams Leather web site and watched is videos you shouldd, the first one he did is on making a pettern for a holster. Also at the top of this forum is a pinned thread entitled holster design (long) it does a pretty good job of going over pattern making as well.

Thanks for the referral. To the original poster - click the link in my signature to go to my site. Look at the How's it Made page.

Just found your site. That's going to be a great help! Thanks for the link. I'm sure that will help me improve. Looking forward to working on one for my Kimber.

Its alot of trial an error. I work on a pattern, sometimes for days unit I get it the way I want. Then I make the first version of the holster, sometimes one version is all it takes, but more often then not it takes several versions until I get a holster I'm happy with that looks as good as it functions. But the hardest eliment to design is the repeatability. You must take into consideration all elements that can change from one holster to the next and engineer them into the design. Each subsequent holster will have slight differences, but hopefully for the better. I am allways looking for ways to improve my product, I think when you stop trying to improve its time to move on to something else.