DHopper

Single Loop 'slinger Cross Draw

Here's my latest 'Slinger holster from today. I finally made myself a decent pattern after cutting this one out. I'm happy with the shape and angle, so it will now be much easier to repeat.

This one is a light tan dyed outer veggie hide with a dark brown dyed interior. I used a single loop rather than the mexican double. Looks 'cleaner' to my eye I guess. Please comment away. The more I hear from you all, the more I learn. Thanks!

Sorry for the crappy cell pics. Lighting and detail looking dull. Better shots tmrw.

photo-158.jpg

photo-157.jpg

photo-156.jpg

photo-155.jpg

Edited by DHopper

Howdy Dave. I love the color and the white stitch really pops. One thing I see is the stitching not connecting at the top of the seam. I would have went up one more stitch length to connect and it will also prevent that point from separating and folding over on itself under the weight of the gun.

CT

From the grump. I agree with C.T. but am also wondering why you ran a stitch line up the fold of the rig ? On a personal level, I leave the toe of my holsters open because crud can (and does) fall down in there - and NOBODY ever cleans out the toe of a holster. Mike

Hey Dave, lookin good! You asked for comments so here's my 2 cents....

I'm not familiar with the shape you have under the trigger and to me it detracts from the flow of the holster. I use a similar shape but the gun sits lower with the trigger guard down in the holster, like this;

post-19070-0-62778200-1352996487_thumb.j

I have seen a lot of holsters like yours where the trigger guard sits up on the welt and that's well and fine but typically when they're built that way there is no "bulge" (for lack of a better term) there. You could streamline your pattern under the trigger and I think it would look much better.

With the loops being fairly loose around the body of the holster I wonder if you have any problems with the holster wanting pull out of them when you draw the pistol? If the slots in the back of the holster body are to tie it to the skirt that would certainly solve that problem.

It also looks like the leather might have been a little bit too wet when you stamped it. That might just be the way I'm looking at the picture but if you let the leather sit until it's pretty much back to the color it was before wetting you'll get crisp impressons that burnish and darken a little.

These are just my thoughts, take them or leave them as you see fit. The most important thing is that you like what you're doing!

Best regards,

Josh

Thanks for all the feedback gentlemen! I do appreciate it.

I went back and fixed that missing stitch. The top line actually went through the back on the last two holes originally, but it does look cleaner this way now.

Grump - that stitch line down the front near the fold is for looks only. I think it gives the whole from of the holster a uniform perimeter and ties in well with the stamping pattern. Especially with the white stitch; it just really pops all the way around, IMHO.

Josh - i know what you're referring to as far as having the trigger guard sit down in the holster. I don't have any problem with that style whatsoever, and will certainly make them that way traditionally. However, I wanted this to be a mix of the traditional standard, and something different. I actually prefer the look of the full trigger guard exposed on a single six. As far as flow; I think the curving line follows the line of the bottom of the trigger guard well and transitions into the holster smoothly. At least in my mind's eye. Definitely doesn't mean this rookie knows what the heii he's talking about, though! LoL.

The one thing that confused me was why you would think I stamped while wet? Stamps too deep or something? Or is it just the blurry cell phone pics that don't capture how crisp the detail really is? There was 0 moisture when these were stamped. Dry and undyed.

Here's a couple more pics that are slightly better. Still cell pics, but at least I had good light.

photo-159.jpg

photo-160.jpg

Edited by DHopper

If you stamped completely dry leather, you will get less detail than if you used properly cased leather. It looks like the tooling isn't crisp or that you have some "bounce" in the tooling.

Dave,

I sure understand liking an exposed trigger on a Single Six. I had an old Idaho Leather rig like that growing up for a Ruger my dad gave me. We all like different things and looking at a picture on the computer doesn't really show the whole picture. Like I said before, just my two cents. :-)

As for the moisture content, the stamping just looked a little "mushy" to me in the picture. Probably just the way it comes out on the computer. The color and white stiching looks very good.

Best regards,

Josh

Again guys; THANK YOU! I really appreciate the help.

I'm just my 3rd project into stamping, so all of your comments are greatly welcomed. The first holster I stamped, I had wet the piece, but failed to let it dry properly before handling it. This time I stamped it dry. It seemed to be much better than before, but I see what you mean now about "bounce". I'm guessing there is a fine line on moisture for stamping?

Thanks again all.

Dave

Finished this one last night. Is this a little more like what you were referring to with the trigger guard area? Also think my stamping is much crisper here(and yeah, my weave pattern isn't the norm).

photo-176.jpg

photo-175.jpg

I'm no stamping expert, but I think this one looks better than the last. A couple recommendations though:1. Don't stamp on your stitch line, inset it some. 2. I think the flap should mimic the shape of the pocket. Your pocket has nice curves, but the flap is rectangular.

Finished this one last night. Is this a little more like what you were referring to with the trigger guard area? Also think my stamping is much crisper here(and yeah, my weave pattern isn't the norm).

photo-176.jpg

photo-175.jpg

I like it. It bends some of the "rules", and there ain't nothing wrong with doing that from time to time. I get a reptilian feeling from the basket weave without a boarder around it. Neat.

Thanks again, gentlemen. Much appreciated feedback.

Been a long crazy last week with the holidays and a nice long ER visit for the misses; but I'm back at it finally. We're all fine and I'm ready to finish several orders and start new ones.

Here's a better yet example of my SAA holsters. This is for a 4 3/4" barrel as well. I semi-lined this one with suede(holster lined, but not the flap). I gave more of a gap between the stitch line and the stamping.

Whatcha think?

photo-177.jpg

photo-178.jpg

photo-179.jpg

Edited by DHopper

I think it's the best one yet Dave. I personally like the stamping in-set like that instead of butted up against the stitch line. I think you're making fast progress. If I could, I'd like to recommend this DVD set: http://smartflix.com...-Holster-Making

If you haven't seen or heard of this DVD set or John Bianchi, I'd highly recommend watching them and studying his work. I bought the DVD set and I often refer back to them.

Edited by CountryTrash

Thanks CT. Just put those DVDs on my x-mas list from the misses. Looking forward to watching them.

Thanks CT. Just put those DVDs on my x-mas list from the misses. Looking forward to watching them.

Anytime D.

Actually I bet you would really like http://smartflix.com/store/video/2664/Frontier-Holsters

Chuck Burrows makes some really nice traditional holsters and has some tips that would have improved yours some. I really enjoyed them. I have not watched the John Bianchi ones. He is an expert in the field also. I have ordered Bianchi's book "Blued Steel and Gun Leather" to read up on his experiences of designing and making holsters.

Hi folks !

I'm just curious, what is the purpose of single, or Mexican-Style double loops on handgun holsters ?

My guess would be the loop(s) allow you to remove the gun and case w/o having to remove your entire gun belt. That way, the gun finish is protected. Are there other reasons ?

Seems like the Mexican style Double-Loop would be more secure, especially if you are toting a heavy-weight handgun.

Thanks for any replies you care to make !

ToddB68

During the years of the black powder guns the gun owners wore a belt with usually one holster, one knife and a cartridge box (this was for paper cartridges).

After the advent of metallic cartridges and very few pockets on clothing they filled the belts up with cartridge loops. The cartridge loops didn't allow the slim belt loops of the slim jim holsters to fit over the filled loops. The Mexican loop holster was result as the size of the belt loop now expanded and now provided more secure way to fasten the holster to the belt. The fastening of the holster to the flap with one, two or three loop slots is mostly style but the more loops on the body the more secure the holster body to the flap. This allowed the moving and removing of the holster with out taking the holster apart

Bobby,

Thanks for your reply ! ;)

Not being familiar with the early western Slim Jim holster designs prior to the advent of the California and Mexican loop holsters, I had to read your reply over several times, but finally "connect-the-dots" and got a mental picture of what you were saying........then I went looking on the Internet and found the attached photo at this link: www.cochiseleather.com

ToddB 68

DSCN0506.jpg

post-50143-0-14418200-1394081962_thumb.j