JohnBloch

First Post! Pipe And Tobacco Roll Up Pouch?

Hello! I've made several things out of leather, a holster, a gun belt, spur straps and cowboy cuffs, but I haven't ever made anything resembling a bag, so I figured I would ask a couple questions.

I'm making my brother a tobacco and pipe roll up pouch as a Christmas present, and I'm concerned about the actual pouch section. To give you a rough estaminet of what I'm going for, I've attached a photo below.

My question is, when I fold the flap over to make the pouch for the pipe, will it have enough space and or give to fit the pipe in it? I will be working with unlined 3-4oz veg tan, and I'm just concerned that when I stitch it up there won't be enough space. I figure the other option is to angle the cut so as to make it have a wider mouth when I stitch up the pouch, but I'm afraid that I won't like how it looks. What do you guys think?

post-36411-0-79967800-1353002847_thumb.j

Edited by JohnBloch

John, if the leather is veg tan, you may have to adjust tolerances for the pipe since the leather will not be as supple as chrome tan. However, I think it will look better and I would approach it like this, Since the pipe is the main feature, I'd build my pattern around the pipe, and I'd wet form the case around the pipe for a custom fit, then let the rest of the pouch fall into place based on that. I think there are lots of cool ways you could go about this.

If you are using another pouch as a pattern, I'd suggest mocking one up out of paper or thin cardboard first.

Hope this helps.

Here's the deal, my brother has a slew of pipes, and I would prefer him to choose which pipe he would like to use in it, and it's all a surprise. While I agree that a wet formed pouch/case would be awesome, I don't think wet forming is really an option.

I did however mock up a paper version last night, I'm just wondering if a piece of neats oiled veg tan will have a little more give. I feel like the answer to my problem is to just make the whole pouch wider, which will in turn allow for more give. I'll keep fiddling with it for a while, but I have so many things I want to make for people I need to just settle up and get cutting.

I've made a couple of pouches, but never one for the pipe to fit inside. What i would do is get one of his pipes or buy a cheap one to use for my pattern and i think i would put a gusset in the side to make the pipe fit better. If you don't use a gusset you pouch is going to have to big bigger/ wider longer for the pipe to fit right, i'm thinking. If you buy a cheap pipe you could give it to him as a joke gift then give him pouch.