chainedrose

Round Edge Braiding Over Corners.

i am working on a rectangular piece of leather. ive punched evenly spaced holes all around the perimeter to work on an eight string round edge braid as mentioned in Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia (Plate 121). each corner has one hole, as a common point between two adjacent sides.

However im stumped on how to go around the corners. Please help!

You make multiple passes through the corner holes for most types of edge braiding, and sorta 'stack' them so that you have enough lace going around the corner to completely fill the space.

When I do round edge braiding I do it like the top of grant's plate 120 ...and just continue like there is no corner. I don't think you can go through a hole twice with round rdge braiding ...like you can with the Spanish edge lacing. Sometimes I'll indent that corner hole to make it a bit rounded. ...Dave

To go around the corner on round braid, follow the directions below. This isn't the only way to do it but it is the standard.

hole next to the corner - go in normally and come out normally. (1 time in)

corner hole - go in normally and come out to the normal hole. (1st time in)

corner hole - go in the corner again and come out to the hole before the corner (2nd time in corner, 2nd time in hole next to corner)

hole after corner - go in the hole after the corner and come out to the hole before the corner (normal*, 1st time in hole after, 3rd time in hole befor)

hole after corner - go back in the hole after the corner and come out to corner hole (2nd time in hole after, 3rd time in corner hole)

move to the next hole (2 holes from corner), go in 2nd hole from corner and come out to corner hole. (Beginning normal stitching again, 4th time in corner)

move to the next hole (3 holes from corner), go in 3rd hole from corner and come out to hole after corner. (3rd time in hole after corner)

continue stitching normally.

This gives you 3 laces in the holes before and after the corner and 4 laces in the corner. That walks the lace around. I have a video on Round Braid/Mexican Basket Weave on Youtube, going around the corner is discussed in volume 2 of that series. Here is a link to the video, maybe it will help. It isn't difficult and will become 2nd nature once you've done it a time or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0P4pt_8ntM&feature=plcp

Chief

Wow, thanks Chief!! I don't think I've seen that in any of my references (though I've only had Grant's books for about 3 days). I'm definitely printing it out to add to my cheat sheets.

Wow, thanks Chief!! I don't think I've seen that in any of my references (though I've only had Grant's books for about 3 days). I'm definitely printing it out to add to my cheat sheets.

No Problem, hope it was clear, it's harder to explain than it is to do.

Chief

No worries ;)

I have that problem trying to explain most things.

Thank You everyone for Your help.

i first tried to do as per Bruce's instructions on how to end the braid. so i essentially went through the corner hole thrice on one side. but this doesnt help cover the corner when i move to the next side. (pic: first attempt)

I then tried continuing the braid as normal as Braider recommended. Again here, the finished look isn't nice. the gaps are too big and dont cover up the edge properly. (pic: second attempt 1&2)

im still to go through Chief's videos but i'll try that too.

post-21312-0-54692100-1353440009_thumb.j

post-21312-0-18455500-1353440049_thumb.j

post-21312-0-96615100-1353440074_thumb.j

It looks like maybe your holes are spaced a little too far apart for the size of your lace, though I haven't tried anything quite that large so it's just an observation. Also, I noticed that I have problems getting good edge coverage on 90 degree corners like that. It usually comes out much better for me if I round the corner before punching the holes. In the end, your corner is going to look rounded anyway, so I find doing it first just makes the end lacing job look that much better.

I concur with the above post as well. Rounding the corners will be best and will deliver the best result. Also, your holes are too far apart and the holes from the edge should be a tad bit closer to the edge.

A good rule to follow with edge braiding is;

1/8th inch lace - This should be 1/8th inch from the edge and your holes should have 1/8th inch between each hole, or the same distance as the hole punch.

I use this rule even with the 45 degree chiseled holes that I use in most of my edge braiding. It has worked well with my edge braiding.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Brian...

and just when i enlarge the corner holes and am about to sit down to complete the project, i lose the bag containing it ! :( its gone! lost forever! :(

thankfully i have enough leather left to start all over again! please advice on how should i punch the holes this time? closer to the edge and to each other? and corner holes + adjacent 2 should be bigger than the rest.

also i use a punch and a hammer. is there any other easier way to do these holes?

I punch my hole with a punch and hammer, always have, never found a better way for me. The hole size depends on the lace size, on wallets etc I use 3/32" lace and I punch the holes with a No. 00 punch, smallest you can get. For 1/8" lace I punch the holes at 1/16". The corner hole and adjacent on each side I "ream" out with a stylus (the pointed end), I enlarge them slightly, not a lot, you'll get a feel for it. If you are intent on punching a larger size then go up 1/32" from the size you're punching on the rest of the project. You can go around the corner without enlarging the holes, it just makes it go a little easier with them slightly enlarged. You've gotten a lot of good advise above from all the responders, the best way to get good at doing this is to do it, it will get easier and you will pick up better ways to do things as you go.

Chief

To go around the corner on round braid, follow the directions below. This isn't the only way to do it but it is the standard.

hole next to the corner - go in normally and come out normally. (1 time in)

corner hole - go in normally and come out to the normal hole. (1st time in)

corner hole - go in the corner again and come out to the hole before the corner (2nd time in corner, 2nd time in hole next to corner)

hole after corner - go in the hole after the corner and come out to the hole before the corner (normal*, 1st time in hole after, 3rd time in hole befor)

hole after corner - go back in the hole after the corner and come out to corner hole (2nd time in hole after, 3rd time in corner hole)

move to the next hole (2 holes from corner), go in 2nd hole from corner and come out to corner hole. (Beginning normal stitching again, 4th time in corner)

move to the next hole (3 holes from corner), go in 3rd hole from corner and come out to hole after corner. (3rd time in hole after corner)

continue stitching normally.

This gives you 3 laces in the holes before and after the corner and 4 laces in the corner. That walks the lace around. I have a video on Round Braid/Mexican Basket Weave on Youtube, going around the corner is discussed in volume 2 of that series. Here is a link to the video, maybe it will help. It isn't difficult and will become 2nd nature once you've done it a time or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0P4pt_8ntM&feature=plcp

Chief

Thank You Chief,

I have been looking for this information for months I had watched your video but could not see well enough to understand what you where doing. I had even tried the classes at the local Tandy (only an hour away) but the instructor did not seem interested in showing this to me just told me to go through the corner hole twice.

Again thank you.

SilverBear

On 3/15/2014 at 7:31 AM, SilverBear said:

Thank You Chief,

I have been looking for this information for months I had watched your video but could not see well enough to understand what you where doing. I had even tried the classes at the local Tandy (only an hour away) but the instructor did not seem interested in showing this to me just told me to go through the corner hole twice.

Again thank you.

SilverBear

SilverBear,

I removed the video because there were a lot of complaints about the videography, some people like it some didn't. There is a book that Tandy sells called Lacing and Stitching for Leather Craft Tandy Item# 61906-00. It is available for order or you can download it from the Leather Craft Library on their site. It is dated, I bought and read it decades ago, I learned the technique from there, but as with many of their lacing instructions, I have adapted it somewhat over the years, it does provide the basics.

Chief

Thank You Chief,

Again thank you.

SilverBear

I have posted an additional video on youtube, that goes through just the technique for going around the corner. I hope it will clarify and make it a little easier to understand.

The video is at: http://youtu.be/KCKFd-yUSpA

Chief

I use all of the items listed above in one form or another during edge braiding. I would add that there are two Tandy books out there depending on the store that you are at. I checked the number on mine and it is the same as the Chiefs. This is the best of the two, well laid out and the best diagrams and descriptions of the two books. The other thing that you can do on thick leather like you are showing inb your photos along with rounding the corners is to use your largest edger on the outer edges then slick the edge just like any other project. Then stain the edge to match the lace. Your edging will lay down with nicley rounded edges, If you do have a little opening somewhere on a corner it is hard to spot.