OdinUK

Another Manowar Back Patch

Here is my latest Manowar back patch. Its a single large back patch to go onto a bike jacket. It measures 17 in tall and 14 in across the top and tapers to 10 in along the bottom.

post-11335-0-03135000-1354325910_thumb.j

post-11335-0-98842000-1354325979_thumb.j

post-11335-0-95512100-1354326099_thumb.j

post-11335-0-31702600-1354326175_thumb.j

Your detail is ridiculous, and the coloring is beyond cool............. :notworthy: If you don't mind sharing, what is the back ground stamp and how do you get detail that crisp?

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks Jon, The black background is done with the E294 series background tools. The white background is done with the pebble tools from Springfield leather, although I see a similar tool at Tandys (M884), I think its the same tool but not certain.

Im currently learning to airbrush, so I hope I can add more shading and artistic dying and painting to my leatherwork soon.

The hammer logo is from the Sign of the Hammer album cover and depicts a stylized hammer of Thor and the Valkyries wings.

Very professionally executed. From the tooling and coloring to the lacing. Is it safe to assume this was all done with acrylic paint? If so, what is your sealer of choice (if any) and your application method? Thanks for sharing.

Only the white is acrylic paint. The red and black is Fiebings oil dye. All colour is airbrushed on, liquid latex used to mask the various bits off and then a fine tip regular brush to touch up around the edges. The finish is Saddle Lac sprayed on.

I'd like to use a less glossy finish, maybe super or satin sheene. Can anyone reccomend anying else that can go on dyed and painted leather to seal it or protect it from rain and dirt?

Thanks for your comments.

as usual => Perfect

you have certainly a thing with leather and paint!

;) i will have to learn 1 or 2 tricks from you and test them out! ;)

Thanks Aurelie! I only use paint when I cant use a dye to get a bright enough colour or certain effect. I've been learning to airbrush, so I'm hoping to make them a little more artistic, using dyes and paints in more creative ways.

Wouldn't have picked the red as die. Would have guessed acrylic. It's a beautiful piece. Thanks for posting.

Thanks. Before dying, I used Oxalic acid to clean the leather, it also has a very slight bleaching effect to make it lighter. The red was airbrushed on and that comes out lighter than applying the dye directly. I prefer using the dye where I can so the natural texture of the leather can be seen.

Edited by OdinUK

very well done... colouring is wonderful

thanks for sharing

Edited by Ash