Sign in to follow this  
BradB

Wallet - first tooling

Well beside the leather warping and a few other little things that I learned I don't think it turned out to bad. It is nothing fancy but I am going to make everything black except the background area which I will leave natural, I may make the cross red. I will be redoing it, without the warping this time, I hope!

Suggestions and critique always welcome!

2759972684_10cd41491f_b.jpg

Well beside the leather warping and a few other little things that I learned I don't think it turned out to bad. It is nothing fancy but I am going to make everything black except the background area which I will leave natural, I may make the cross red. I will be redoing it, without the warping this time, I hope!

Suggestions and critique always welcome!

2759972684_10cd41491f_b.jpg

Hi Brad,

Nice first tooling! Did you put anything on the back of the leather before you started tooling. I use clear packing tape placed across and then down on the back, before wetting it. it stops the leather from warping and shrinking as much.

When you lace it, it will get some of it's straightness back.

Shirley

Hi Brad,

Nice first tooling! Did you put anything on the back of the leather before you started tooling. I use clear packing tape placed across and then down on the back, before wetting it. it stops the leather from warping and shrinking as much.

When you lace it, it will get some of it's straightness back.

Shirley

Thanks!

Unfortunately no, I did not back it with anything, I will next time!!!

I use thin cardstock and rubber cement to keep the deformation to a minimum.

rubber cement it to x-ray film. Get it free from your dentist/doctor. works great and with an erasure you can get the rubber off easily and re-use it 100's of times.

pete

I use the Blue 3M Painters Masking Tape on everything. Have tried the regular masking tapes but some of them anywhere there was tooling on the other side the tape would not come off the back side. Have not had any problems with the Blue tape.