Havamal

Best Way To Do A Border Cut?

Ok… newbie here! :helpsmilie:

I wanted to put some border cuts on a project about 1/8th of an inch from the outer edge. I did a bit of research and found Tandy’s Border Tool… but it does not do a very good job. The blade does not seem to come far enough through the tool to make an adequate cut… they are nice and straight, but just not deep enough, more of a scratch. I’m getting better cuts using a metal ruler as a guide. I thought about sanding down the tool so that the blade protruded farther, but I thought I would make this post and see what the pro’s recommend!

So… what methods do you recommend for doing these kinds of border cuts? :whatdoyouthink:

Thanks in advance for your input!!

I use a border tool and go over it with a swivel knife when I want it deeper.

For short borders, try a plastic triangle or template. This will give you a straight edge while allowing you to see the leather underneath. Also, since it's not metal it won't stain the wet leather.

For longer borders, such as on belts, use a creaser.

I don't have a creaser yet since I've been doing just fine using my wing dividers followed by my swivel knife and then finish it off with a nice double bevel using my plastic swivel beveler (that's a mouthful). I've used a stitching groover on some items before, but on most I don't like the look. I've been wanting to try the "lil wizard" out too, since it would knock a step off my process, but I'll probably buy a creaser before I buy that.

http://springfieldleather.com/29104/Edger%2CLil%27-Wizard-Border/

I don't have a creaser yet since I've been doing just fine using my wing dividers followed by my swivel knife and then finish it off with a nice double bevel using my plastic swivel beveler (that's a mouthful). I've used a stitching groover on some items before, but on most I don't like the look. I've been wanting to try the "lil wizard" out too, since it would knock a step off my process, but I'll probably buy a creaser before I buy that.

http://springfieldle...-Wizard-Border/

That tool works well but if you can afford the metal version it will last longer and stay locked to a setting. If you have to go with the plastic one get 2 or 3 and leave them set at the distance you need. They are a pain to get set up and the screw holes tend to strip so with more than one you dont have to change them as often. The plastic one can be had for 4-7 dollars. the metal one is 35-45 dollars and worth it.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I have been using Tandy's version of the lil wizard but like I said it does not cut deep enough. I have been going over the cuts with the swivel knife like you said Tree Reaper.

I like the idea of the metal version... might have to try that.

The border blade is a good idea too, but the only down side is that the width is not adjustable.

On the Tandy tool I place the leather on the edge of the table and the bottom of the tool does does not touch so I can cut deeper. Just make sure the side of the tool stays against the leather. Pratice with it a few times and you will see what I mean. I have also done it with another piece of leather underneath and just behind the edge of the top piece so the tool cuts deeper.

mlapaglia ~ Great idea!... I should have thought of that... (but then again if I had all the answers I would not be able to call myself a Newbie :P )

Thanks!

Perhaps what I write is old information and you are already familiar with it.....if so please accept my apology for re-hashing old information.

If you have a grinder or a Dremel you can make an adjustable border/bead tool using a Tandy Pro Stitching Groover (88081-00). It's a pretty simple DIY project; just cut the head off a 10-32 stainless steel machine-screw and grind a sharp edge on it with the grinder/Dremel. You may have to grind the screw diameter slightly to make it fit, but I found some 8-32 screws whose diameter was small enough that I could force-thread them into the open-end of the stitching groover (you still want to use the original 'set-screw' to keep it tight). If the diameter of your 8-32 is suitable for force-threading, don't remove the screw-head until after the threads have been cut into the stitching groover opening.

With this adjustable tool you can make cuts anywhere from 1/16" to 1 1/4" from the edge of your leather. I haven't used it to make border-beads but I have used it to cut a 'center-bead' down the entire length of a 1 1/2" wide belt. It can be operated by either 'pushing' or 'pulling' ....I think it works easier when it's 'pulled'. - John

Thanks John, I'll have to give that a try!