lindatt

guitar cover problem

Hi all..... I am desperate for some help! I just finished my guitar cover and it has some bulges in the front. After I cut the front, I laced it----hoping it would lay right on the guitar. But as you see... it doesn't... Any suggestions? It has velcro on one side, so I can take it off. By the way... there was a discussion about how the cover would affect the sound.... it makes it sound a little more mellow, but does not deaden it. The sound is directed more thru the sound hole. It is awesome.... if I could just get it to fit right.

I am also posting a couple pictures that I finished and framed. The bear is thanks to ClayB. It was really fun to do.

The rose bouquet is made from very fine kip leather.

Thanks for the looks and help. Linda

Guitar_Front__Small_.JPG

Guitar_Back__Small_.JPG

Bear_Framed__Small_.JPG

Girl_Horse__Small_.JPG

Bridal_Bouquet__Small_.JPG

post-6285-1218751295_thumb.jpg

post-6285-1218751308_thumb.jpg

post-6285-1218751316_thumb.jpg

post-6285-1218751327_thumb.jpg

post-6285-1218751335_thumb.jpg

I can't tell the cause of this from the picture, but probably a little bit of the shaping of the leather, a little bit of different tensions on the lace. It's far more complicated than a motorcycle seat cover, but a similar process. The Seat guys may have some good advice.

My first thought would be to cut out two pieces of 1/4" plywood to the shape of the guitar top. Take the cover off the guitar. Wet the leather top, insert the plywood, then put the other on top, keeping even weighting on the top with either clamps, or weights.

I'll be interested in other peoples suggestions.

Thats a tough one, If the guitar is not real valuable glue or spray adhesive would be my guess. No removal after that without ruining the guitar though.

Maybe spray some adhesive to bag stiffener to the inside of the cover cut to the shape you want and then cover that with something soft...

I think Brad had the best sugestion.

It looks like the leather you used is too thin to lay flat.

So by thicking the leather with the stifiner, may make it flatten out.

What weight leather did you use ?

Unless you have to cement it.

Edited by craftsman827

Hi Linda,

Most of us have probably had a project we put a lot of time into that didn't turn out like we had hoped (at least that's what I tell myself when I do one). It looks like the pieces need to be laced tighter, but if the leather on the front is too thin, as was mentioned, when you pull the back and sides tight, that might make the front curl out. I dont have any suggestions on how to fix it but I hope someone does because the carving looks nice.

The bear turned out nice. I am glad that you tried it. You even figured out how to add ears! I like the way you framed your pictures with the leather hanging out of the matt. Neat idea. The roses look great, and like a LOT of work.

I've never done anything that big, but on smaller projects where thin leather is used, I use a thin cardboard to keep things flat. I find that manilla file folders, the kind used in offices are really good. They are really thin (so they don't leave any tell tale signs that it's there) and they don't bend much after they are cemented to a piece of leather. If you cut to fit then cement it on a flat surface it may be enough to get the curl out of your project.

I really like it by the way, great job. I hope whatever you choose to works, keep us posted.

Tom :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks for the great ideas guys.... appreciate the help!!! I was hoping to leave the cover on when it is played since it doesn't affect the tone or volume, but...... it puts a lot of weight on the guitar. That is the only downside that I can see.

Oh well..... back to the drawing board!