docdomek

16" Cliff Wade

This is my very first saddle, so I would like to thank Butch Roberts for allowing me the use of his basement and many of his tools. It is a 16" Cliff Wade, 7/8 rigging with 3.5" post horn. The most difficult part for me was sewing the cantle bind with equal spacing. I started on the left and made a few mistakes, but found an easier way and it went considerably better on the right. Also, the left ear on the seat was a little off. The appropriate measurement would have been 3/4" up and 1/8" over. Instead I went 1/4" over and it proved to be too much. Saddler Lon Davis mentioned extending the front skirting further forward to make a more appealing eye flow, which I agree with. Any other critiques, suggestions, or opinions? Also, the mule hide was not yet on the horn when the pictures were taken, but it did eventually find its way up there. The pictures aren't the best, but I was about 4 months late on the completion, so I wanted to get it to him as fast as possible.

AJ

post-18914-0-15401500-1356312171_thumb.j

post-18914-0-09533600-1356312226_thumb.j

post-18914-0-01249500-1356312270_thumb.j

post-18914-0-71444500-1356312304_thumb.j

post-18914-0-70902200-1356312366_thumb.j

Nice job on the carving and stamping. The jockey and rigging lines are off to me. It would look better, to me at least, if the rigging faded up into the rear jockey rather than head straight up into it. You'd have to move the rear rigging D up closer to the skirts to accomplish that. I struggle with getting those all to look good myself. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the seat has a high spot where the low spot should be. Could just be a problem with the picture. The sewing on the cantle looks good. I'm still trying to decide if I should drink more or less when sewing a cantle to get the stiching straight. A good looking first altogether. Congratulations.

Rob

I do agree with your assessment on the rigging. My mentor is under the idea that all the rigging hardware should be below the skirting. I disagree with this theory, but it was easier to appease, especially being a newbie to the trade. The next saddles I make will definitely have a different rigging design. It makes the flow lines so much better. Thanks.

Aj