thekid77

Resolene Matte Finish Idea...

Hey friends, I've been reading about resolene all over the forum, and it seems like some people don't like the high gloss that the resolene gives...

I was experimenting and was able to achieve a matte finish by using a shop rag to apply the resolene (mixed 1:1, resolene to water) to the leather by "patting" or "blotting" it on. I applied two very thin coats. It is now waterproof with a matte finish..

***of course, you will want to practice on scraps to see if this works for you :)

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated, and I hope this might be of use to anyone else who enjoys a nice matte finish with the benefits of waterproofing...

Happy New Year!!! :)

Edited by thekid77

I like the shine of resolene normally but there has been times when I wanted a matte finish. I'll have to try this technique, thanks Kid. Any pics of your project? Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, here's a link to a picture of the resolene matte finish

http://db.tt/3Y2Ew7Dk

....my phone wasn't cooperating with attaching the pic directly to the message

The finish turned out better than I thought it would. I was messaging around and discovered that as long as you get a thin enough layer of finish, the actual texture of the leather grain will provide the matte finish texture. If you apply it too thick, the resolene will just gloss over the grain and be shiny...

I think i'm going to apply with an airbrush based on what i've read from other's experience.

Happy New Year :)

Thanks Kid, for both :) Happy New Year to you too. Cheryl