Nightshade

Trouble With Singer 29-K

I had some more time to work with the Singer. It appears that inexperience and operator error were the major problems.

It wasnt the bobbin thread that was getting wrapped up in the shuttle, it was the top thread. I looked at the needle and it just didnt look right. After changing the needle, an Organ 160/23 I think I put in, its doing worlds better. The top tension still needs to be readjusted for the material, 2 layers of 6/7 veg chrome retan.

This thing will go through 2 layers of 12oz latigo like butter. The ideas have started flowing again...lol

In this little adventure I did discover that if I run the foot pressure adjustment at about half the marks from the foot go away, for the 6/7oz anyway.

Thank you all for the help.

Sound like you got it going on! Good Job and happy sewing!

Chris

Glad to hear you gotm it going!

Is the bobbin thread really that sensitive? Rewinding bobbin and if its not perfect or less than 50% it doesnt run right.

And is it really that tiny...lol

Is the bobbin thread really that sensitive? Rewinding bobbin and if its not perfect or less than 50% it doesnt run right.

And is it really that tiny...lol

I chuck it up with a drill and a screw

Hmmm...so the bobbin finicky and needs to be wound carefully so it doesnt bind.

The tension on the top thread doesnt appear to stay constant. It will run fine for a few inches the top thread appears to run loose, then in a few inches its ok again.

The machine sat for a while as part of a collection so I figured there might be some issues. Is there any way to clean the tension disks and that area? Or woild it be a better idea to have it cleaned and adjusted?

So I'm wondering...is this a problem? So it might not have all been operator error...lol

More importantly can it be replaced or should I look to have the part welded.

post-16000-0-05678900-1357898072_thumb.j

post-16000-0-64400300-1357898197_thumb.j

Edited by Nightshade

I just received a part for my 29k from toledo industrial machine. It seems a great company to do business with. If you have the part # just give them a call. If you don't have a # I would call anyway and ask. I think the guy I talked to knows all about these machines. It was a very plaesent expierience dealing with them.

Paul

I found out something interesting with my machine yesterday that I thought I would pass along. I put in a new needle and thread size and started the same issues as Nightshade. I followed the book about centering the needle in the hole with the adjustment screw and it turned out, after about three hours of messing with it, that I had to move the needle to the back of the hole instead of in the center and then everything worked fine. Maybe this will help you to.

Paul