Sign in to follow this  
BradB

Bleeding through to other side

So I was dying the biker wallet kit I tooled and I wanted to leave part of the tooling natural, which I did but when I started dying the backside of it black it started to bleed through. I figure it was because the leather was thin and I maybe I tooled it to much??

Has anyone ever had this problem and how do you work around this issue?

Brad

I never dye the backside, especially when doing black bracers. But I always consult my customers first about this and occasionally they want the inside stained and then I do it but I have never had the problem with bleeding through.

I apply with a sponge.

Tom

I never dye the backside, especially when doing black bracers. But I always consult my customers first about this and occasionally they want the inside stained and then I do it but I have never had the problem with bleeding through.

I apply with a sponge.

Tom

I used one of those wool applicators you can get a Tandy..

If the leather is thin, then don't use too much dye, it will bleed through. I find that using airbrush for such an application is the best solution. Even coverage with no bleeding.

singteck

I used one of those wool applicators you can get a Tandy..

The wool daubers can soak up an incredible amount of dye. They're best used when you really want to lay down a lot of dye. As others mention, better options are to try applying lightly with a sponge, an airbrush, or even a piece of cotton T-shirt.

Sorry this happened to you.