antipaladin

Sole Bend?

I have what I think is a pretty darn sharp head knife...goes through everything else I cut

like butter. The only thing I have trouble with is the Tandy heavy "sole bend" leather. That

stuff is like cutting steel. Anyone have any tips/tricks for precision cutting this stuff or is it

a case of if my knife were REALLY sharp enough, it would cut through the sole bend like

calfskin?

Nothing wrong with head knife, but for sole bend, just use the band saw.

Art

I have what I think is a pretty darn sharp head knife...goes through everything else I cut

like butter. The only thing I have trouble with is the Tandy heavy "sole bend" leather. That

stuff is like cutting steel. Anyone have any tips/tricks for precision cutting this stuff or is it

a case of if my knife were REALLY sharp enough, it would cut through the sole bend like

calfskin?

The other way to cut sole bend is with the cutting wheel on the end of a 2 in 1, 3 in 1, or 5 in 1 machine. It is some seriously dense stuff to cut with a knife.

Yup, when cutting soles, I just mark it out, then run it through the band saw

I wish you bandsaw owner's lived around me. :ranting2: I want to cuts some new jaws for my stitching horse out of some 1 3/4" thick maple.

marlon

and if you don't have a band saw (I do, but don't use it all the time....sorry Marlon, I'm a bit too far from ya!) use a jig saw. You will loose a little more leather because you have to use a pretty agressive blade, but it works well!

Oh and be sure to put plastic down to collect the "dust" it makes superb embossing filler!

Edited by Froghunter

Sorry to jump off topic here....

Marlon, Get on you local craigslist dot org. I am in Chattanooga, could not find any here, got on the Atlanta site, and found all kinds of toys - um, I mean tools..... Made deals with everyone and went on a road trip.... mapped it all out and hit everyone on my way and ended up stopping over at a friends from the site here to BS and bounce stuff off of.... think that was the time I stole his hand stitcher to to sew up some saddle bags.... anyway.... I picked up a scroll saw and a band saw from the same guy for 110.00 total.... also picked up a 8 inch lathe, a dewalt sawzall, and was going to get a sewing machine but ended up not getting it.... but I made out like a bandit and got to spend time with another leather worker of which i dont get to do here.....

That's a good idea. I don't really need a bandsaw for many things, that's why I can't really justify it. Plus I don't have much room for one.

I will still look though. Thanks for the idea.

Marlon

look around for a used benchtop model. You can get them for under $100 new, so used should be quite cheap. And it's small enough to stash in a corner somewhere when you don't need it. A scroll saw should work fine too.

calfskin?

One of these will cut through it lickety split. They cost about $69 with free shipping at All Brands.

M_2444_gemsyrxm1-1.jpg