mark stotesbury

Perfect Circle Sporran Flap ?

How do you cut a perfect circle out of leather , my sporran flaps always look untidy any body got any pionters as to sanding etc the flap to get it perfectly uniformly round ?I am working with veg tanned 3mm leather .

Goeie more Mark, what size circle are you after?

Engineering companies are a great source of off cuts when it comes to discs.

I have a set of metal discs from 1 inch up to 6 inches I use to cut out circles.

Because they are off cuts and were scrap, they cost very little.

If its something you will use of a regular basis, you can get a form knife made.

This is a circle of metal bent to the shape you want and sharpened, mainly used with a press, but it will work just as well with a clamp or a mallet.

If you have a steady hand, a set of dividers to mark your circle, and cut it free hand, an inward curved blade is better for this as its easier to go round corners neatly.

If its a regular shape your after, it may be worth getting it cut in metal, aluminium will do, and it doesn't have to be thick, you can spend the time sanding and shaping to suit, then it's no different to using a ruler.

There are some outstanding metal workers in South Africa on the SABlade forum, its run by a really nice guy, steven Lewis, if you have a drawing I'm sure someone will be happy to help,

Is any of that any help?

Nigel

Thanks Nigel . I am on SA Blade also dabble in the forge when i get a gap . I am cutting out free hand at the moment may just make up a few perspex templates to cut the flap though .this is the flap i want bigger

002.jpg

If you are at all handy with tools, . . . a piece of steel 15 to 20 mm wide, and 1 to 2 mm thick could be bent into the exact size circle you want, . . . welded together, . . . and the edge sharpened to form a "cookie cutter" tool.

I have taken galvanized electrical conduit and made several of these type punches, . . . though smaller than you need. They work great, are easily sharpened, and certainly did not cost a high price.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have read where some folks make a wooden circle using a hole saw rap and nail metal banding tape around the edge and sharpen it.

I think if you were to cut a circle part way trough a ¾ inch piece of plywood the size you want then using a larger size hole saw cut the circle out. Slip the banding material into the slot you created in the first step add a little gorilla glue sharpen the edge it would probably work ok. If you have a press you could probably use it to make the circles.

Doug