JinxedDream

Hello From Rural Ontario!

Hi, just thought I'd do a short introduction. I'm in love with the wealth of knowledge available here. I'm from a farming background and love horses. I ended up here because I'm tired of trying to convince the local harness makers to make my custom tack designs. The last one kind of threw his hands in the air and told me to try myself. I've decided to take his advice.

Ultimately I want to make a half-breed stock saddle, I love the design but they are impossibly hard to find on this side of the ocean. Headstalls, a ski-joring harness, collars (I don't like halters on my horses) and tooled saddle pouches are also on my list. And whatever else I come up with. No more bailer-twine, duct-tape and cotton rope for me! The first project will be the ski-joring harness if the snow doesn't melt first. My sister and I have a prototype out of baler-twine, duct tape and feed bags. Plus an old harness racing set we found. They have the harnesses in Europe, my cousin is sent me photos. If you are starting to at all feel sorry for my horse, it's okay, she's a saint and puts up with whatever half-crazy ideas I come up with.

I'm not completely new to the world of leather and crafts. I took art back in high school, I can draw when the mood strikes me. I'm a self-taught dressmaker when I'm not in school. I make prom dresses when I need something to do with my hands. I've also tooled the odd piece of leather in my friend's shop. I love restoring old saddles although I have yet to take one completely apart. I ended up selling the last one I was going to take apart. Or rather it was half-taken apart when my uncle called looking for a saddle as soon as possible. So I only got as far as restitching the horn and putting on new strings (with the help of my friend).

Now I'm waiting ever so patiently on my tools to arrive.

Edited by JinxedDream

Hi ,welcome to the forum . I enjoyed reading your story and of your life . There are a great many people here who will lend a hand with just about any thing . My work is nearly 100% with deer skin and native style bags ,so I will be of no help with saddles. I do a lot of braiding and lacing in the course of my work. I enjoy lots of blues music and some zydeco waltz as well. If I can be of any help just ask . Bill

Hi ,welcome to the forum . I enjoyed reading your story and of your life . There are a great many people here who will lend a hand with just about any thing . My work is nearly 100% with deer skin and native style bags ,so I will be of no help with saddles. I do a lot of braiding and lacing in the course of my work. I enjoy lots of blues music and some zydeco waltz as well. If I can be of any help just ask . Bill

Thanks Bill! Lacing looks difficult. I have been looking at deer skin as a lining option, its so soft.

Welcome to LW Jinx! Nice to see another Ontario resident join us. The folks on this forum are awesome, we'll help you out anytime, and there is an incredible amount of talent here.

Oh, and don't forget to drop into Chat too..It's a lot of fun, and we even talk about leather sometimes too :cowboy:

Welcome JD, where's rural Ontario?

Give yourself some slack ski-joring, I've seen what comes out of the back end of a horse.

Kevin

Welcome JD, where's rural Ontario?

Give yourself some slack ski-joring, I've seen what comes out of the back end of a horse.

Kevin

Welcome to LW Jinx! Nice to see another Ontario resident join us. The folks on this forum are awesome, we'll help you out anytime, and there is an incredible amount of talent here.

Oh, and don't forget to drop into Chat too..It's a lot of fun, and we even talk about leather sometimes too :cowboy:

Thank you both! I'm seeing the talent here and I must say, it's jaw-dropping.

Tree-reaper, no worries, my little sister is the skier, I'm the pilot, I'm safe :D

Rural Ontario is my home when I'm not at UoG... and by that I mean a little dot on the map known as Walton or Motocross Town.

Welcome to the forum!