MakerUnknown

Bicycle Grips

I've been using a bike for 99% of my transportation around San Francisco since the mid 80's. My bike was stolen and I purchased a used 1982 Schwinn but didn't like the handlebars.

I laminated up some bamboo, turned it to size and sewed some grips on it. The seam may appear to be out of place but in use it fits right into the joints of the fingers and provides a positive structural element for gripping.

The bamboo had a catastrophic failure one time during an emergency stop. I've built a second one using Ash which is proving to be much more resilient to breakage.

i-JLwxdtj-M.jpg

i-9D992bk-M.jpg

Edited by MakerUnknown

mmmmm....A medium format digital back that can fit onto various makes and models. I can't remember but maybe it was on the Fuji 680lll at the time.

Edited by MakerUnknown

I've seen leather grips on bikes before, but they've all been done up with a baseball stitch. And on "townies" that you wouldn't dare climb a hill on. I can see how the ridge would give a better grip.

Being the master woodworker you are, you should have a look at these bikes. http://www.renovobikes.com/